PDA

View Full Version : smrtz

Smrtz
05-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey guys,

I was giving my 05 outback a thorough cleaning yesterday and when I opened the DD cover and noticed that the blck top on the bolt that holds the plastic cover on the engine was gone. so that cover is now sitting lose. the screw is still there holding the air filter on the top of the carb. Its just the black Cap. I know it isnt a big deal but if that cap isnt there the plastic cover can fall off move around etc... im assuming it fell down under the engine, maybe under the floor.

Anyone have any idea how I could get under there to find it or what I could use to fix that down. i already called the dealer andf had them order me a new one but if I can get the other one it would just be faster.

any input would be great

thanks

qb12
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Smartz, Have you removed the floop panel directly behind the motor box. That give you full access to the bottom rear of the boat. It will also show you where your shaft packing is (in case you need to adjust the nut).

When I had my outback that knob came off also. I ended up jb welding it back to the bolt.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Smrtz
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks Doug, I saw that door, just afraid to start takin stuff apart.

Funny that was my first thought "If I find it Im gonna JB weld it back on...

Thanks again Ill let you know how it goes.

BTW You mentioned the shaft and packing should I be checking in ther to make sure everything is good.

what should I be looking at

Thanks
J

qb12
05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Smartz, On the floop panel there are 4 screws (in the corners) of the floor. You will however have to remove the engine box. Not to hard just takes 2 to pick it up.

In regards to the shaft packing, if you are getting a excessive amount of water in the bilge then (generally) it is leaking thru the shaft packing. It is suppose to drip a drop every 30-45 seconds when it in gear to help cool the shaft. Make sure not to over tighten the nut or it will burn up.

Hope this makes sense.

Doug

ps, alreay have 25 hrs on new boat and everything is running great.

Smrtz
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear that the boat is running excellent for you!

Hey i have noticed this year that there is no water comming into the boat at all. like usually last season there would be a bit of water under the engine etc after taking it out.. but this year it seems bone dry... is this an indication that there may be a problem? I only have 60 hrs on the boat...
I was under the impression that there should be some water comming in like you had described

lowdrag
05-16-2006, 05:36 PM
I had the same problem. Once that black nut loosen on the allen screw it usually keeps doing it. Best solution is to just find a washer that will keep the allen screw from pulling through the plastic fairing and snug it up with an allen wrench.

Smrtz
05-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the input!!
now if it ever stops raining I will try to get under the floor and find the black piece and either JB weld it or use a washer...or both!!

Thanks again
j