PDA

View Full Version : Do you share your drysuit?

trayson
01-27-2015, 03:21 PM
I am pretty generous about letting other people use my gear. Over the years I've let people shove their 8, 9 and bigger feet into my bindings (I have a size 7 foot). I've let people use my vests and various pieces of neoprene (on the condition they don't pee in my wetsuits).

However, my drysuit is mine. I decided not to share it. I have small wrists and ankles and don't want to risk someone stretching it out (as unlikely as that might be). It was pretty expensive and I want it to last. So I've chose to keep it just for me... (even though that sounds selfish).

I have another friend that's just fine with others using his drysuit.

What about the rest of you? Is your drysuit sacred? or is it community?

bergermaister
01-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Share it as long as they're not some big moose that will obviously destroy it...

Then it would require a deposit down ;)

I'm usually the biggest/tallest of my regulars so it's an easy one for me.

sandm
01-27-2015, 04:00 PM
don't have a dry so don't know, but would be no. wetsuit is ALWAYS no.

trayson
01-27-2015, 04:01 PM
I'm usually the drunkest of my regulars so it's an easy one for me.

Fixed that for ya...

trayson
01-27-2015, 04:02 PM
wetsuit is ALWAYS no.

Because they'll probably pee in it?

kaneboats
01-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I would definitely pee in his pink wetsuit if I had it on.

bergermaister
01-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Fair warning - Newty pees in his drysuit as well.
You may wanna pack your own for any polar bear runs in our neck of the woods.

I would definitely pee in yours.

trayson
01-27-2015, 04:17 PM

With as much beer as I've seen you put down on a boat, I'm sure you would have to!

trayson
01-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Fair warning - Newty pees in his drysuit as well.
You may wanna pack your own for any polar bear runs in our neck of the woods.

I would definitely pee in yours.

Yeah, but doesn't Newty have a "Stadium Pal"?

kaneboats
01-27-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't need a drysuit -- can't feel the cold anyway.

bergermaister
01-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Yeah, but doesn't Newty have a "Stadium Pal"?

Not sure but he needs one! Would've come in handy on the beach in Prineville last year...

No drysuit eh, right... :cool:
I did a polar bear plunge at a lake on the coast in trunks on NYD. I'd guess water was somewhere in the 40's. In and out in maybe 15 seconds. Me and my dumbass buddy decided to go back in for a photo opp and the second time around hitting the water actually stung a bit compared to the first time.

mmandley
01-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Personally I don't think its selfish to NOT loan out your Dry Suit and Wetsuits. I don't offer mine up. Although I know several who well let you borrow their dry suit.

I personally think with the cost of a dry suit, and the way it seals that its really up to the owner, and I personally had the option Sunday to try Jesters on but I stuck with my wet suit. Everyone else was in a dry suit.

I still refuse to use a dry suit. I'm afraid if I do use one I'll become like Wet suit Russ <boonejeepin> who literally wore his wetsuit the entire summer in OR.

jester
01-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Personally I don't think its selfish to NOT loan out your Dry Suit and Wetsuits. I don't offer mine up. Although I know several who well let you borrow their dry suit.

I personally think with the cost of a dry suit, and the way it seals that its really up to the owner, and I personally had the option Sunday to try Jesters on but I stuck with my wet suit. Everyone else was in a dry suit.

I still refuse to use a dry suit. I'm afraid if I do use one I'll become like Wet suit Russ <boonejeepin> who literally wore his wetsuit the entire summer in OR.

Mike I bet Steven has already purchased one for the February ride but I will call him Russ if he has it on past July.

My thought is it is your gear that costs a lot so do what you want and do not worry about other people. I use to let anyone use my stuff but over the years it has become only people who respect my equipment can use it. If they do not like it then they can get off the boat.

trayson
01-27-2015, 11:13 PM

I get crap occasionally from people for the gear I wear. But I really don't care. I'm all about being comfortable and I have nothing to prove to anyone. I tell people that I've already got the hot wife, so I don't need to put on a show! Haha.

if the water temp is in the upper 50's, I might wear a full wetsuit. Mid 50's and below it's for sure drysuit. if it's mid 60's I'm probably wearing wetsuit shorts and a heater jacket. even when the water gets into the upper 60's to low 70's I'll often wear my short sleeve heater jacket. If I'm wakeboarding I'm typically wearing gloves and a helmet.

Hell, the vast majority of the time, the people that might tease me about wearing "too much gear" can't ride as good as me anyway, so I just laugh. :-)

So Mike, wear what makes you comfortable and who cares what people say.

snyderaaron
01-28-2015, 12:06 AM
I share mine or else no one will go with me to brave the cold. Also peeing in wetsuit makes it warmer haha

yearround
01-28-2015, 07:40 AM
I have no problem sharing wet suits. i ask not to pee in it, who knows who does or not.

for the dry suit, the few times i have let others use my dry suit are the few times they have ripped the neck, wrist or ankle seal and blown the next few weeks til it gets repaired. so I do not share my dry suit. but for the right special person, i may share.

i have two dry suits though, the one i use which is an OS system baggy suit, the seals have ripped several times.

the other suit i have for my kids, has never ripped a seal. i don't remember the brand, but the seals are about 2-3x thicker. now i think about it, i should get those same seals and replace mine so it does not blow out. that suit is about 7-8 years old too.

sandm
01-28-2015, 12:10 PM

that makes me feel warm all over... literally :)

not sure if anyone would want to borrow my wetsuit. since discovering the art of beer drinking, mine is expanding monthly in the midsection :) would not hug you to keep the "warm water" against the skin......

Boonejeepin
02-02-2015, 02:31 AM

I still refuse to use a dry suit. I'm afraid if I do use one I'll become like Wet suit Russ who literally wore his wetsuit the entire summer in OR.

Haha. I trunked it on the one day of summer in the PNW.

sandm
02-02-2015, 08:21 AM
wait.. what???

there's summer in the pac nw??

I thought it went from cold rain to warmer rain back to cold rain again..

BrettLee3232
02-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Wearing a wetsuit when the water is in the 70s is like bowling with the wrist thing. If you pull that baby out you better be good! Haha

trayson
02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
wait.. what???

That's the rumor. although I do remember sunny and 92 the Saturday AFTER Labor Day when I sold my Supra. hmmm...

Wearing a wetsuit when the water is in the 70s is like bowling with the wrist thing. If you pull that baby out you better be good! Haha

Nice! Although I do own my own bowling SHOES. and I'm happy if I break 100! But it wasn't too hard to justify spending $35 on a pair of shoes that would pay for themselves in a few years even with going bowling a few times per year. And the biggest benefit? Not having to put my feet into those stanky skeezy used rental shoes!

Plus, I have the coolest looking bowling shoes anytime I go!

http://www.petesproshop.co.uk/acatalog/etonic_blueflame_lg.jpg

bergermaister
02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
wait.. what???

Summer is the best week of the year here!

sandm
02-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Not having to put my feet into those stanky skeezy used rental shoes!

but wait, they spray them with a magical fog of stuff that makes them just like brand new.

probably moreso than anyone does with a wetsuit that they are about to let their incontinent friend wear :)

kaneboats
02-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I have the coolest looking bowling shoes

We are extremely happy for you. No, really. We are.

trayson
02-02-2015, 03:27 PM
We are extremely happy for you. No, really. We are.

...says the guy that gets excited about golf! bahahahaha!

It's okay to be jealous!!!

It's not easy being steezy!