PDA

View Full Version : seadeck flooring

togan9
01-25-2015, 07:14 PM
has anyone done seadeck instead of carpet? i have seen the threads about people not doing it because of the flooring panel gaps.

Rakkasan
01-25-2015, 08:22 PM
has anyone done seadeck instead of carpet? i have seen the threads about people not doing it because of the flooring panel gaps.

I did the hydroturf route instead of seadek. Not to hard if you have the time and patience. Here's the
Link.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24591-Replacing-carpeted-flooring-with-HydroTruf&highlight=HydroTurf

MLA
01-25-2015, 10:17 PM
What gaps? The template should be drawn so a floor panel gets its own section of sea deck and table mounts and round floor accesses are open. A section of sea deck should not bridge a gap. The hardest part is doing the template for a boat they do not already have one on hand for. Ive put it down in a buddy's last two boats. Application is pretty straight forward. Took about 2 hours total to do a walkway, helm, port locker, main floor and 2 narrow side pieces.

togan9
01-25-2015, 10:37 PM
thanks guys, is hydro better than sea?

Rakkasan
01-26-2015, 07:38 AM
I don't know if it's better. A lot like seadek better but for me hydro was easier and cheaper. You can just buy the sheets and make your own templates and cut to fit vs ordering a template from seadek then sending it to them to cut the sheets for you. I always wondered if I was a little off on my cuts I could just trim a bit at a time but wouldn't want to have to trim seadek that I payed extra for someone else to cut.

If that makes sense. Sorry still waking up

viking
01-26-2015, 09:14 AM
You can just order up sheets of seadek too. They have different colors and thickness just like hydro. You DON'T have to make a template and have them cut it although that's an option. Still think Hydro will come in cheaper but sheets are an option with both!

parrothd
01-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Hydro is softer.. ;)

rdlangston13
01-26-2015, 11:23 AM
I like the texture of sea deck better

togan9
01-26-2015, 11:37 AM
any idea how much a precut from seadeck is for an 08 lsv? ballpark

kaneboats
01-26-2015, 11:50 AM
You can order samples of hydroturf and they will ship them to you pretty much the next day. BTW, they told me they just got in a new "brown" color and it's not on their site yet. Won't help you but maybe somebody.

UPDATE: Nevermind the brown. It is really fugly. Kinda orangy like mud mixed with GA clay. They could have called it "cinnamon".

togan9
01-26-2015, 01:03 PM
i trust yall that it is a good product so i wont need any samples, i just need to call them and get a quote i guess

trayson
01-26-2015, 01:29 PM
What gaps? The template should be drawn so a floor panel gets its own section of sea deck and table mounts and round floor accesses are open. A section of sea deck should not bridge a gap. The hardest part is doing the template for a boat they do not already have one on hand for. Ive put it down in a buddy's last two boats. Application is pretty straight forward. Took about 2 hours total to do a walkway, helm, port locker, main floor and 2 narrow side pieces.

MLA, what he's talking about is that there have been other forum members that have looked into installing seadeck or hydroturf and what they've found is that when they've pulled up their carpet, that the actual floor panels don't fit together seamlessly on a lot of the Moomba boats. That the "gaps" between the actual floor panels become noticeable when the carpet isn't covering them and instead the seadeck/hydroturf only covers the panels exposing the gaps and in these cases the inperfections in how some of the moombas panels were put together.

That's what I've read about in previous threads on the subject.

viking
01-26-2015, 01:39 PM
The gaps would be fine if they were all uniform. Alot of new boats come with seadek (or similar) floor options and several panel pieces to make up the floor. I think the major issue with these Moomba's is some of the seams/gaps are varying and there can be an inch difference from one edge to the other on each of the panels and extremely noticeable unless fully covered.

MLA
01-26-2015, 01:47 PM
MLA, what he's talking about is that there have been other forum members that have looked into installing seadeck or hydroturf and what they've found is that when they've pulled up their carpet, that the actual floor panels don't fit together seamlessly on a lot of the Moomba boats. That the "gaps" between the actual floor panels become noticeable when the carpet isn't covering them and instead the seadeck/hydroturf only covers the panels exposing the gaps and in these cases the inperfections in how some of the moombas panels were put together.

That's what I've read about in previous threads on the subject.

I am going to conclude that because this was a floor covered with glued-in carpet, these gaps are a result of poorly fit joints between sections of what should be a permanent floor. If, you would want to approach it like doing a linoleum floor. All those imperfections would need to be built up, leveled, sanded down, what ever, in order to get a smooth flat surface. Once the decking is down, you would never know those gaps were there.

If these gaps are actual access points for servicing the bilge, then I would do the decking in pieces that boarder those access panels. This is how it is done on Bu, Tige CC and others.

I would agree that ripping up glued carpet in prep for sea deck is far more work, than laying down sea deck in a boat with a finished floor and snap-in carpet, but regardless of what you go back with after the carpet is pulled up, even new carpet, I think the prep work for that new covering, would be about the same.

viking
01-26-2015, 01:50 PM
MLA that would be true if the spacing of the gaps was uniform but it is not. You might have 1-1/2 inches space/gap on one side of panel and 1/2 on the other so separate pieces would have to be cut at an angle.

MLA
01-26-2015, 02:18 PM
If the gaps are that bad between the floor and an actual access panel, then maybe go with a heavy vinyl looped flooring like Decadence. Would hide those imperfections like carpet, but removable. Does not glue down, but can just lay in or add some snaps. Does not soak up or hold water.

sandm
01-26-2015, 02:44 PM
^^ this. expensive, but very cushy and would be my choice if I was replacing snap out carpet and wanted to spend the coin. see a few vendors that are using a new mat that looks like tweed flooring. supra had it on the floor at the boat show. didn't feel a soft as the decadence but would do the trick as well.

viking
01-26-2015, 02:48 PM
If the gaps are that bad between the floor and an actual access panel, then maybe go with a heavy vinyl looped flooring like Decadence. Would hide those imperfections like carpet, but removable. Does not glue down, but can just lay in or add some snaps. Does not soak up or hold water.

My thoughts exactly! and what I would do/am doing on new boat.

But that is the reason most get the old floor up and then decide NOT to do the seadek or hydro in separate pieces showing the panels or doing it without wrapping the edges.

rdlangston13
01-26-2015, 03:11 PM
If you have gaps on one side that are 1/2" and 1 1/2" on the other then I don't even think carpet will hide that....

viking
01-26-2015, 03:14 PM
It was exaggerated to get the point across - although I've seen some pics of Newty's re-carpet job and those gaps are gynormous. Point is the raw floor is not pretty and you need something to hide it, not showcase it!!

parrothd
01-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Gaps are fine, just roll the hydro around the panel. It'll give someplace for the water to go..

togan9
01-26-2015, 07:57 PM
yea my gaps aren't terrible but they are definitely noticeably uneven.

Rakkasan
01-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Gaps are fine, just roll the hydro around the panel. It'll give someplace for the water to go..

Exactly what I did. When alls said and done the hydro I got was the same thickness as the carpet removed. If you wrap all the edges just like the carpet was wrapped the gaps come out the same. Only difference is the sheets aren't long enough to do the whole floor without seams like the carpet.

parrothd
01-26-2015, 08:43 PM
That's why I use the cut groove hydro, you can hide the seams easily..

Boonejeepin
01-26-2015, 10:10 PM
I have removed my carpet and installed Miner's Moss (poor man's Deckadance). My panel gaps were very wide and uneven. They would be very noticeable with a single panel overlay like Hydro or Seadek. The gaps would have to be addressed for a Hydro or Seadek install. I can't feel them of see them with the Miner's Moss laid down. No snaps used and it doesn't move at all even when trailered. I love it so far. Dry before I get home and nice of the feet.

Sorry this is a bit off topic since the discussion is Hydro or Seadek. I have Hydro on my swim platform and I like it a lot.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/26/200884408dd1aa130f9adc366fd21a8e.jpg

togan9
01-27-2015, 11:16 AM
what did it run yall to do the hydro?

smorris7
01-27-2015, 12:01 PM
You should be able to do it for under 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

togan9
01-27-2015, 12:15 PM
wow thats nothing, what about seadek?

kaneboats
01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
You should be able to do it for under 200.

Don't know where you are getting that number from. I just did measurement and layout and need at least 3 sheets. Even with free shipping it was over $300.

parrothd
01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Did you use the coupon code? It's cheaper without the adhesive backing, but worth the extra $$..

parrothd
01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
http://www.pwcmuscle.com/hydroturf-sheet-47-x-86.html

3 sheets 240$.00 without PSA..

kaneboats
01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
No, ths site recommended by Rakkasan was a little better deal when you factored in the free shipping. Also, for some reason the site with the code was also charging sales tax. Deal killer.

And yes, I paid the extra $40 per sheet for the backing-- I'm sure it will be well worth it in time alone, not to mention mess.

parrothd
01-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Ahh.. Yeah it's 223$ with shipping, +120 for PSA.. The PSA is well worth it..

kaneboats
01-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Looks like they are in Tampa so I would have had to pay sales tax too. This one was better for me with free ship:

http://ad-discountperformance.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=hydro%20turf%20sheet&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=2

http://ad-discountperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1028_2729_40&products_id=134470

SD17
03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any pictures of the carpet removed in a 2006 Outback V and what the gaps may look like? Also I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of their SeaDek installs? Would the SeaDek be thick enough to cover the area the carpet does and not notice any gaps when walking on it like the carpet?

kaneboats
03-15-2016, 10:09 AM
I used the hydro turf. It was not thick enough to fill all the gaps between the panels over the gas tank and the fiberglass floor. I cut strips of hydro and attached to the front and back edges of the panels to, essentially, make them slightly larger. Then went over with the hydro wrapped around. Worked great. Best part is the grooves in the hydro allow water to get between and enter the bilge. Gets water out of the boat faster.

SD17
03-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Ok Thanks. I was searching the forum for pics of your install or finished product but could not find any. Do you have any or a link to them?

kaneboats
03-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Great info in this thread. My install pics are post #100 on page 10.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24591-Replacing-carpeted-flooring-with-HydroTruf&highlight=swamp+camo

SD17
03-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Great! Thank you.

Gettin' It
03-16-2016, 10:05 PM
I am in the middle of doing this exact thing. The templates were a HUGE pain in the ass. Ended up being 16 different sections. I am doing the mocha on black teak look, basically like the nautiques. I'm very excited to see how it looks. I just mailed the completed templates to them on Friday, I hope to get the drift by next week to test fit everything. They gave me a rough estimate of $1200 before I started, I'm ok with that if it comes together like I hope.

SD17
03-16-2016, 11:31 PM
That should turn out nice! Would like to see pictures when you are done.