PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rad-a-cage tower wakeboard Rack on '07 LSV

jelmhorst
01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Any DIYers have any suggestions or guidance for removing one side of the wakeboard racks on the 07 LSV without stripping the hex screw? I fear one side may have started so I might also be inclined to see if anyone has been able to remove such a screw? Bought a Roswell IS ski rack at this year's boat show but if I can simply move the existing rack and keep the look uniform on the tower, I'd be more inclined to do that, but first things first.

Thank you, appreciate any insight!

valleywine
01-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Drill a straight pilot hole into the screw and use an easy out

parrothd
01-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Plasma cutter?

gregski
01-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Is the hex head stripping out, or are the bolt threads stripping? If it's the head, I would try to various amounts of tightening on the other screw such that it takes a bit of the pressure off of the questionable bolt but also not so tight that it tries to misalign the clamp and put weird pressure on it. I definitely have a hard time removing those bolts if the other one is removed entirely first.

jelmhorst
01-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It doesn't sound like the easy out is the most successful option so hopefully it doesn't come to that. I'll try tightening the other bolt and see if that helps. It is the hex head that is starting to strip out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks again.

parrothd
01-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Pbblaster let it soak for a day, if it strips either beat a torx lager bit in it, or just drill the head of. Then use vise grips to remove the remaining screw stud..
Easy out can turn really bad if it breaks off in the screw your screwed.. Lol

kaneboats
01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Just be careful. Don't be like my Dad. I caught him one time working on the old Buick. He broke a water pump bolt off and was trying to drill it out. When I found him he was trying to drill out the broken drill bit. :mad:

valleywine
01-24-2015, 04:56 AM
The easy out will work well if you use a good bit, right size and a quality easy out. The cheap ones are the ones that give people trouble. Turning the easy out without putting lateral pressure is also important.