PDA

View Full Version : Any help on replacing rudder

JGP54321
01-22-2015, 10:22 AM
So at the beginning of the season we noticed a fairly large crack down the side of the rudder. We ordered a replacement rudder assembly and kept an eye on it throughout the year. Luckily it never expanded and worked fine throughout the year even though we didn't get out as much as planned. But, it's now time to replace. We talked to the guys at Grandpa's Marine in Greensboro and it seems like a fairly easy swap. It'll take some twisting and turning of the body but mechanically it doesn't seem like there is much to it.

Just seeing if any of you guys have taken this on and could offer any advice or helpful hints before we tackle this on Saturday.

Thanks!

mmandley
01-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Several have had to get them replaced due to damage and what-not. You might try a search for Prop Damage, Rudder replacement and the likes. See if there is any threads.

JGP54321
01-26-2015, 05:19 PM
We did the replacement this weekend and it went fairly smooth. Hardest part was getting your hands and tools back under the engine and getting enough room for leverage. You could probably do it solo, but I would definitely recommend a second pair of hands. With two of us, it took about 2 hours. Hardest part was straightening the safety pin and removing it due to limited room, and removing the safety key was kind of a pain too. We also figured out, as you will see, that the rudder would not drop out due to the trailer, so we had to move it back a few inches. Overall, I would say it's a fairly easy job. Pictures for reference.

JGP54321
01-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Finished product and boat moved back...lesson learned.

kaneboats
01-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Nice job. Glad you decided to take a crack at it and get 'er done.

Fastest1
05-30-2015, 08:28 PM
I had heard that there is a zerk fitting on the rudders stuffing box. That it was hard to get to.

I stumbled upon an idea for a CNC mill that I have for remote oiling of an axis.

A simple grease extension to make. 1 piece of tubing that fits snugly on a zerks fitting. 2 nuts that fit the tubing "before" it is swelled on the zerks.
Hopefully the pics will explain.
Video too http://youtu.be/VhNIl_W74dQ