PDA

View Full Version : New mondo first wakeboat

AlphaBuzz
01-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Hey guys just bought my first wake boat being a mondo 2015 will pick up in a couple of days, just curious as to honest opinions of the boat for a first timer? Also how are the standard speakers that come with the boat? And how hard is it to install tower speakers and will I need to have a second amp to run them ?

Thanks

mmandley
01-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Hey guys just bought my first wake boat being a mondo 2015 will pick up in a couple of days, just curious as to honest opinions of the boat for a first timer? Also how are the standard speakers that come with the boat? And how hard is it to install tower speakers and will I need to have a second amp to run them ?

Thanks

Welcome to the Family.
If your a first time boat owner then its actually a little simpler because you have no real exposure to other boats to skew your thoughts and learning.
I personally have not driven the Mondo, but owning the bigger brother the Mojo I love how the boat drives. I can only assume the Mondo is slightly quicker to turn.
When driving slow, the boat will be slow to respond as it takes time for the nose to start moving. Remember your steering is with a Rudder, not an engine or out-drive like other boats.

Docking will always be easier on the drivers side. You will need to learn how to aim the boat at an angle at the dock, turning it away at the last moment and gently using reverse to bring the rear end to the dock to allow easy loading. Some practice and you will get it down.

Trailering is the most stressful to most, its a controlled collision. You taking a 50K boat from its home on the water, onto a parked trailer, that will bring it out of the water.

Learn to go SLOW SLOW SLOW the thing I see on the lake the most if the guy who thinks he can power load in 1 shot at 5mph. This causes stress to the trailer, and your towing rig.

Instead take a very slow approach, just bumping the throttle in and out to keep you moving forward, remember you have no steering in neutral. I find it easiest to stand or lean in the isle, looking straight at the FORD emblem on my tailgate. Then go in as slow as possible. If you bump off a trailer bunk, its ok thats why they are there. Just let the boat center up a bit, then crank her up with the winch.

Tower speakers,
How hard all is relative to how well you know what your doing. You simply drill holes at the speaker locations and run wires to the Port side for the amp.

You will need a second amp as tower speakers generally draw a lot more power then cabins.

How are the standard speakers in the boat. They are adequate for what they are. Some people love them and never change them. Others like my self, its the very first thing I remove.

millerda68
01-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Congrats on the purchase! The 2010 LSV we purchased in 2011 was my first boat of this kind. The greatest adjustment was the fact there is not a strong reverse like what you would have on an outboard or I/O.

Trailering is not too stressful. I take Mike's approach and just bump the throttle as I go in and just take it slow. Coming off the trailer is the more stressful part depending on wind, current, and how full the ramp is (given the weak reverse). Generally I will get the boat off the trailer and spin it (bumping in and out of throttle and cranking the wheel) so I can drive straight out. Some days the winds are heavier and I wait to spin it once I am at the dock. I can generally push out the back end while holding the bow and spin the boat so I can have better control driving out.

I replaced the cabin speakers and put tower speakers on this past summer. The cabin speakers were adequate. Incredible difference with the upgrade though! I will be putting a sub in this season.

We have been extremely pleased! While we do like some of the new features and hull designs, we have no desire at this point to make any changes. It has been a great boat for slalom skiing, wake boarding, and surfing. We probably spend 80% of the time surfing now days.

Congrats again on the purchase!