PDA

View Full Version : OZ HD Tower Speaker Wiring

mbusch5
01-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Curious where anyone with an OZ HD tower ran their speaker wires...Port or Starboard side? Obviously the port side makes the most sense with the Amps in the storage area, but I have a plate welded inside the base of the tower on Port side. The starboard side does not have this and the anchor light wiring is on that side. It doesn't look like this plate will give enough clearance for 12 AWG speaker wires.

mikenehrkorn
01-19-2015, 03:36 PM
I ran mine up the port side....maybe the plate you are talking about is new because I didn't have any issues with my '13 OBV.

jstenger
01-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Curious where anyone with an OZ HD tower ran their speaker wires...Port or Starboard side? Obviously the port side makes the most sense with the Amps in the storage area, but I have a plate welded inside the base of the tower on Port side. The starboard side does not have this and the anchor light wiring is on that side. It doesn't look like this plate will give enough clearance for 12 AWG speaker wires.
All the OZ HD's have that plate on both sides. There is a hole drilled through it on the port side that is large enough for four 12 gauge wires. Just wired my 2014 last month without any issues as have others on the forum. There may be strands of fiberglass in the hole that make the hole look smaller, but the wires will fit.

mikenehrkorn
01-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Ooops, sorry, missed the key to your statements.....Oz HD tower -- my '13 has the old Oz standard tower.

Jason05216
01-19-2015, 04:43 PM
I ran mine up the starboard side. On the port side the tubing was solid where the upper part met the sides and I couldn't get the wires across to the speaker locations. On the starboard side the I followed the wiring for the light and was able to get the wire to my speaker locations. It is a tight fit getting the speaker wire in the same hole as the wiring for the light. I had to go very slowly when pulling the wire as it was also hard to get it so the pull was reasonably straight and not binding the wires. I also did it by myself an extra set of hands would have been nice. I pulled the grommets out of the factory hole and used that hole to fish the wires into the top tubing.

mcdye
01-19-2015, 10:01 PM
@mbusch5, curious do you have the tower fold assist?

I ran mine up the port side. Removed the grommet, then used a long drill bit at a angle and made a hole to the port upright. The tower speaker clamp covered the original hole. I ran WS 12ga with led wires and a standard WS 12ga. Then just used WS led wire from speaker to speaker. The WS 12ga/led combo is big.

mbusch5
01-19-2015, 11:27 PM
@mbusch5, curious do you have the tower fold assist?

I ran mine up the port side. Removed the grommet, then used a long drill bit at a angle and made a hole to the port upright. The tower speaker clamp covered the original hole. I ran WS 12ga with led wires and a standard WS 12ga. Then just used WS led wire from speaker to speaker. The WS 12ga/led combo is big.

I do have the fold assist, but that is also on the starboard side. The port side is the same as the starboard....hole through the fiber glass into the tower base.....hole going up into the tower to the speaker locations.....the only difference is there is a plate in the portion of the tower that folds which looks lime when the towerbis up would rest on or very close the base that is attached to the boat. Here are some pics.

jstenger
01-20-2015, 01:55 PM
I do have the fold assist, but that is also on the starboard side. The port side is the same as the starboard....hole through the fiber glass into the tower base.....hole going up into the tower to the speaker locations.....the only difference is there is a plate in the portion of the tower that folds which looks lime when the towerbis up would rest on or very close the base that is attached to the boat. Here are some pics.
The cable on the starboard side is not the fold assist, it is the tower folding stop adjustment. The fold assist, if you had one, would connect to one of the slots in the plate on the port side. As far as the port side plate goes, there is about a quarter to three eights inch gap between it and the base for the speaker wires.

jstenger
01-20-2015, 02:01 PM
All the OZ HD's have that plate on both sides. There is a hole drilled through it on the port side that is large enough for four 12 gauge wires. Just wired my 2014 last month without any issues as have others on the forum. There may be strands of fiberglass in the hole that make the hole look smaller, but the wires will fit.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the plates under the fiberglass when I posted this.

mbusch5
01-20-2015, 05:03 PM
The cable on the starboard side is not the fold assist, it is the tower folding stop adjustment. The fold assist, if you had one, would connect to one of the slots in the plate on the port side. As far as the port side plate goes, there is about a quarter to three eights inch gap between it and the base for the speaker wires.

Joe, thanks. I spoke with SC this morning and yes the plate is for fold assist which I apparently do not have. They say 2 12 gauge wires will fit.