PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts help???

JesseC
05-15-2006, 10:04 PM
This is a repost from last night; the thread I started seems to be missing this morning. I noticed that JoeTechie and Lowdrag had replied, but the thread is missing. Anyway, here is the thread again:

This weekend I changed my impeller and was tightening all sorts of random parts on the engine. When I came to the engine mounts at the stern (in a V-drive), I reached down and could turn the nut with ease. I was not sure if it was supposed to be tight and if it was, how tight should it go? Since it has rubber mounts underneath it, I was a little hesitant to just tighten them. I may need Brian’s help on this one!

Here are a few links to some pics I took. My site does not allow remote linking, so please copy and paste the links in another browser. I appreciate the help!!

lisaandjesse.5u.com/mount.jpg
lisaandjesse.5u.com/mount1.jpg

JesseC
05-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Alright guys, I need some help here...what do I do with my nuts :p???? No one has ever tightened them or found them loose before???

Buttafewcoe
05-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Those are jamb nuts which hold the alignment screws into place after the engine to shaft alignment is done. You can secure them back down but are running the risk that the screws have vibrated a turn or two causing the engine to shaft alignment to be off. But maybe not....are you feeling lucky today, .....are ya?
B

JesseC
05-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Butta thanks! I will go through the shaft adjustment process and then tighten them down. I am sure I can locate the process in the owners manual.

DOCDRS
05-16-2006, 06:51 PM
i have a dd and with two wrenches afeeler gauge it takes about 15 mins to dial in shaft alignment. its purely a common sense thing as to which mount to adjust but i think you can get the istructions from moomba if you call or email brian. they have been great for all my do it myself issues. my boat is about 1.5 hrs from nearest moomba dealer and nothing even changing hard ballast tank pump has ever taken more than 3 hrs . so i figure i'm saving time as well as hassel probs with dealer inadequacies (my moomba dork dealer only as i do know there are some great moomba dealers out there).

doug setterington
99 outback ls

NH Moomba
05-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I sent an email to moomba and they faxed me the instructions. It was pretty easy. I think it makes a difference if you do it in the water vs on the trailer though. I will be replacing my shaft packing this weekend while I have the access panel off. I think it will have to be a two step process- shaft packing on the trailer and then float it while I get the engine aligned.

Andy