PDA

View Full Version : FAE install

smokedog2
05-14-2006, 01:14 PM
I found the camera and had to upload the Easter pictures for the in-laws so here is the FAE pix – I think. I did not do the install to spec as the 2” spacer is NOT between the platform bracket and the FAE support bar. I felt it was a more solid attachment with the bar against the bracket and with the spacer on top, the bar hit the vertical (hypotenuse) bracket support. If I had shorter bolts, I would not have used the spacer at all.

I did buy Al shims for the platform to clear the bolt heads.

http://faeinstall.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?ap=&a=67b0de21b33b778b0510&pg=0

smokedog2
05-14-2006, 01:22 PM
yes, I should have drilled a hole for the bolt head and centered the shim - I was in a hurry!

SD2

Nafplio
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Looks nice SD. Thanks for the info guys. How's the noise level inside the boat, especially for anyone seating in the back?

Sharru-Kinu
05-16-2006, 01:42 AM
SD,
Good pics. I did a few things differently. I cut the support bar and drilled new holes so that it would fit between the platform supports. I also bent the all-thread rods so that they came straight up from the FAE instead of at that funky angle. Sounds like Larry at FAE is changing the length of the support bar now so hopefully no one else on here will have to make modifications.

Overall, this is a great product - very well built and it does what it was advertised to do. The istallation was pretty frustrating, but I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks again for the pics SD!

smokedog2
05-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Significantly less. worth the money just for that.

SD2

wakeboard dad
05-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I hate to sound stupid - but what is an FAE, what does it do, and why did you add it to your boat?

Thanks

Nafplio
05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Cool site: boatpipes.com.

qb12
05-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Fresh Air Exhaust.

It reduces the noise and also reduces the boat carbon monoxide output or at least put the monoxide directly under the water surface.

A lot of people who wakesurf are using this new exhaust to lessen the chances of being injured by these gases.

db

SoTX
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I am lucky enpough to live an hour from Larry and I had install on my Outback and on my XLV . I highly recommend FAE. It works great for surfing and the noise level is way low. Actually got to surf with Larry once. Dude is bad to the bone. He was free lining with a surf skate (no fins) un real. His Trick Bordz are an awesome wake surf board as well.
trickboardz.com check it out.

qb12
05-19-2006, 09:10 AM
sd2, question- can you still remove your platform?

Asking because I have to take mine off in order to put it in garage.

doug

smokedog2
05-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Not without lossening the FAE from the boat and removing the whole syste. The FAE is bulky but light, it would not be a big deal once a season, it woudl be a pain every time in and out.

SD2

qb12
05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
sd2, thanks for the reply.

guess i will have to rule this project out....

gotmyboat
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
The only time I have needed it was while teaching kids with ski trainers. While sitting on the ski locker, with my feet on the swim platform, holding on to the rope handle. After about 1/2 hour I felt dizzy and like I was going to boot. That was before beer #1. It took some Tylenol and some time in the bow to shake the CO out of my system.

I also have to remove my platform (and I have to completely remove my tower) to fit mine in the garage with 1" to spare. I have $70K worth of cars in the driveway so that the $30K boat can stay out of the sun. I do have my priorities!!

Dave