PDA

View Full Version : Ball and Hitch

snyderaaron
12-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Will a 5000 lb ball work for my LSV and trailer? Just worried it won't be enough.

Boonejeepin
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
I would bet that is what most people have. Some may not even know.

With that said, you can't be too cautious when it comes to safety.

mmandley
12-31-2014, 03:26 AM
Will a 5000 lb ball work for my LSV and trailer? Just worried it won't be enough.

Ohh yea it will work. You can find a 10K ball but its hard to find in 2inch.

I have towed for years with the 5 and 6K.

What i did find out is the shank on some are shorter then others. <insert joke>

Seriously, all year I have had issues with locking my trailer on the ball, and then unhooking it would stick.
Finally found out the shank on the Reese balls is only about 1 inch vs the ones u Haul sells is about 2inch and this allows the coupler to lock and release easier.

Boonejeepin
12-31-2014, 05:28 AM
Ohh yea it will work. You can find a 10K ball but its hard to find in 2inch.

I have towed for years with the 5 and 6K.

What i did find out is the shank on some are shorter then others. <insert joke>

Seriously, all year I have had issues with locking my trailer on the ball, and then unhooking it would stick.
Finally found out the shank on the Reese balls is only about 1 inch vs the ones u Haul sells is about 2inch and this allows the coupler to lock and release easier.

Lube it and it will slide easier(insert another joke here).

mmandley
12-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Lube it and it will slide easier(insert another joke here).

Nope that wasn't the issue. I'll have to get you a pic. When the couple slides down over the ball, the locking plate automatically goes up under the ball head. With the shorter shank the plate hits the base of the ball, and then wedges its self.

I tried Lube and it made a mess. I prefer to buy a new $10 ball each year them mess with lube..

Boonejeepin
12-31-2014, 07:22 PM
I tried Lube and it made a mess. I prefer to buy a new $10 ball each year them mess with lube..

I bet it made a terrible mess. 😉

parrothd
12-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Nope that wasn't the issue. I'll have to get you a pic. When the couple slides down over the ball, the locking plate automatically goes up under the ball head. With the shorter shank the plate hits the base of the ball, and then wedges its self.

Exactly! Takes multiple tries to get it o latch.. Thanks, gonna look for a longer ball..