PDA

View Full Version : Smart WiFI TV question for business

jmvotto
12-29-2014, 05:01 PM
I want to buy a 60 to 65 inch LED TV to project the laptop wirelessly onto the screen. Any Ideas on how or what capabilities the TV needs. ( I know I could use apple TV, but that only works with IOS products and we have dell laptop at my office)

Thanks

skyskiwannabee
12-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Just go to the local WalMart and pick up a Google Chromecast. Problem solved and all you need is an HDMI port on your TV. Best part is they are only 35 bucks.

jmvotto
12-29-2014, 05:14 PM
really that easy? and it will pick up everything I do on a laptop. worth a try for 35 bucks , I thought I needed something built in

from google website on chromecast

If you’re on your laptop, you can cast any website in Chrome;

looks like only webrowsers in chrome from a laptop not actual software like powerpoint etc.

bergermaister
12-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Not so simple - only a single tab from the chrome browser can be cast to the tv....

Phone/Tablet apps - here and there.

No option to run a long HDMI cable?

jmvotto
12-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Not so simple - only a single tab from the chrome browser can be cast to the tv....

Phone/Tablet apps - here and there.

No option to run a long HDMI cable?

for my conference room not really , I would rather do it wirelessly.

bergermaister
12-29-2014, 05:40 PM
If your laptop has HDMI out you could give something like this a try -

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmitter-Streaming-Satellite-NPCS549/dp/B009E6R89C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419889078&sr=8-3

Not a "cheap" route though.

I was a little disappointed with Chromecast. After experimenting for a few weeks about all I see us using it for is Netflix. I'm still tempted by the Fruit TV but not tempted enough I guess.

New Guy
12-29-2014, 05:55 PM
If you open a tab in chrome then cast it you can minimize the browser and it will cast the anything on the desktop. I am having a problem in our conference room because of our firewall it will not allow chromecast to find the network.

lee
12-29-2014, 06:11 PM
If you open a tab in chrome then cast it you can minimize the browser and it will cast the anything on the desktop. I am having a problem in our conference room because of our firewall it will not allow chromecast to find the network.

How does that work?

bergermaister
12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
I stand corrected. Don't recall seeing it as an option, maybe because it's still "experimental" or not Mac friendly yet?

Here's a semi helpful example I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g5tNUxBJ-U

Going to have to try this again tonight.

MLA
12-29-2014, 06:53 PM
for my conference room not really , I would rather do it wirelessly.

What about a projector and a screen rather than a TV?

KG's Supra24
12-29-2014, 07:40 PM
The IOgear wireless hdmi is the one I was eyeballing a while back but never pulled the trigger. Similar to Berg's link.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00630WKGI/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=36310566939&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15425627800374971181&hvpone=189.95&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1b0eedmyzh_b

Old firm always used a projector but it takes up table space and usually needed dim lights. Projectors seems "old school".

I think Miracast is what you are looking for. I think Roku is using it in beta version right now. Amazon firestick has it also, maybe? Seems like one of those things that 6 months to a year from now, there will be multiple affordable options.

I've mentioned this in another thread ... chromecast always seems finicky but it has been a while since I've used one. In a professional setting, you just want it to work without much fumbling.

KG's Supra24
12-29-2014, 07:42 PM
You better figure it out quick if you want to deduct it in the same year BrettLee deducts his boat :p

parrothd
12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Chromecast, pretty much all apps and phones support it. :o There's an cast button right in the chrome browser. Not great for fast moving video but works, probably easier to have the video or presentation on a tablet or phone and cast it.

jmvotto
12-29-2014, 08:11 PM
What about a projector and a screen rather than a TV?

We have one too and it's wireless but we use it more off site ,led tv would be more permanent

Takesi up table space and seems a little old school

parrothd
12-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Any new TV will probably come with WiFi/miracast or dnla support. You can stream from any windows machine to the TV..

jmvotto
12-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Any new TV will probably come with WiFi/miracast or dnla support. You can stream from any windows machine to the TV..

Wifi yes. Mira cast or dnla not sure. Now I know wHat to look for

Thx

Apple tv works great though just need to buy and air book , but who knows if that will hook to the network at work

MLA
12-29-2014, 08:33 PM
We have one too and it's wireless but we use it more off site ,led tv would be more permanent

Takesi up table space and seems a little old school

Mount it from the ceiling and no table space taken.

jmvotto
12-29-2014, 09:03 PM
lights are in the way to the screen, , we would have more in reconstruction and wiring than a new tv

BrettLee3232
12-30-2014, 02:59 AM
You better figure it out quick if you want to deduct it in the same year BrettLee deducts his boat :p

Haha

As for the OP:
Wireless is so finicky it's very hard to use reliably. Unless you go the AppleTV route. That just works, but your stuck with the Apple ecosystem. If you want 100% reliability you want to run a direct connection from your computer to the TV. They make table boxes for this purpose (HDMI jack straight to the TV.) HDMI is almost as bad as wireless though. Especially if your going over 25'. I do Audio/Video for a living so I have had a lot of headaches because of HDMI. When it works it's great...when it doesn't it makes you want to pull your hair out. I would recommend an HDBaseT setup if your running more than 30' or so. It is pricey but it works. If not you want to get an "Active" HDMI cable for longer distances.

parrothd
12-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Try the Chromecast, can't go wrong for $35. It's really hard to mess it up, you'll either need really weak signal or interference, usually from microwaves, cordless devices or audio equipment.

bergermaister
12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm with Parrot - what have you got to lose? Two whiskeys into it I somehow missed the 'share the desktop' option when I was first trying it out. I've noticed a bit of latency but if you're not seeing both screens then you probably wouldn't know it so much.

I agree with KG on the projector being old school too. We have one in our conf room and it is sucky both in capability and client perception compared to one of our tenants who runs a 60" HD TV in their meeting room.

I'll shut up now. :p

New Guy
12-30-2014, 06:18 PM
I ordered a pair of these when they were on an indiegogo we are still waiting to get them but once we do I'll let you know how they work.

https://airtame.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airtame-wireless-hdmi-for-everyone--2

KG's Supra24
12-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Looks awesome

It looks like it connects from computers wireless ... Do computers these days have the ability to connect to multiple wireless networks? Or do you lose internet? It's been a while since I've bought; due for an upgrade

Sounds similar to using phone to control go pro

jmvotto
12-30-2014, 10:37 PM
Looks promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
01-22-2015, 11:08 PM
I bought an action tec scream beam kit and it works great. Can walk around the CR with laptop , very little latency at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-SBWD100KIT01-ScreenBeam-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B009Z8T3K6

bergermaister
01-23-2015, 02:14 AM
Appreciate the follow up - was curious what route you went. I tried the share desktop mode just a couple days ago and it was meh... at best for me.

parrothd
01-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Hmm.. Just tired it, works there's some lag but not bad, the real advantage is anyone on WiFi with chrome can share their screen, not to mention tablets and phones..