PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger

BGeorge01
12-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Hey all, I need to get a new charger for my batteries this winter, I've always had the old school charger that once it's charged you disconnect everything. Does anyone recommend a specific one that won't break the bank or is just going to Walmart good? I want one where I can just hook it up and not worry about the battery draining through the winter. Is there a difference from the "trickle charge" and a "maintainer"?

Thanks and merry Christmas everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
12-24-2014, 08:51 PM
You may find that there is little difference between a trickle charger and a maintainer, but they are different from a marine on-board multistage smart charger. Trickles, tenders and maintainer are usually low output, so not a real battery charger, and have a consistent output. This can be a detriment to a boat battery, especially one with a dedicated house bank. A typical marine on-board smart charger, thats matched for the banks' amp hours, will not only recharge a depleted battery bank, but taper off its charger to a float mode when full. This keeps the batteries topped off for long storage, without over charging. Yes, there are some tenders, trickles and maintainers that have a float mode also, but they lack the output of an actual charger. Like an audio amp, there is heat built up during the charging process. This requires heat sink mass to dissipate that heat. This adds to the size and weight of an on-board charger. They are often ignition protected as well and attached to the battery terminals in a permanent fashion.

zabooda
12-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Get yourself a Battery Tender brand. I've had others malfunction and bake batteries. I have four of them charging various batteries including my boat batteries and my golf cart batteries. They pay for themselves by extending the life of the batteries.

viking
12-24-2014, 11:44 PM
I use the Schumacher 10030A
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-10030A-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Maintainer/dp/B001MYWBF0/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1419478791&sr=1-6&keywords=schumacher+automatic+battery+charger

I used to have a Vector Smart Charger that did the same but finally quit working a couple months ago. Heard Vector was bought out by Black and Decker and they have a comparable unit but decided to try Schumacher based on reviews. I also use it for 6v RV batts so that's why I went this version. Once charged it goes into maintain mode.

996scott
12-25-2014, 05:07 PM
I have had several Battery Tender ones and they work great. I use them on my car and boat each winter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-Battery-Tender-Plus-Battery-Charger-BT-128-/271380335176

trayson
12-26-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm sure I'll get flamed to high heaven for this, but I use the Harbor Freight float chargers to keep my batteries topped off over the winter and after I'm using the boat. They're inexpensive and have a circuit in them to prevent overcharging.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20349.jpg

I've also wired a battery tender style plug onto mine to make it easier to hook up to the batteries.

I have a pair of Costco deep cycle marine batteries that I use in my boat. I haven't invested a ton in my battery system. Just something that does the job for the least amount of money.

If I ever drain my batteries, I'll recharge them with my big charger. It's a Schumacher that I think I got at Walmart. It has settings for "regular battery, deep cycle, AGM/GEL" and another setting for a "small vs large" battery. And has an "engine start" function too. I believe it's progressive and seems to do the job well.

I couldn't find a pic of my exact model, but it looks a lot like this:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/auto/detail-page/B001MYWBF0.01.lg.jpg

bergermaister
12-26-2014, 01:33 PM
^^Similar to me. I'm no expert on batteries, but I am still running the original 2 that came with the boat when purchased in June 2006. Not sure what the magic formula is but I'm not about to change it!

One basic group 24 starter battery and a sealed AGM group 27 party battery.

Added couple of these about 3 years ago "just in case"

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-three-stage-onboard-battery-charger-maintainer-99857.html

Everything works perfectly although I'm sure my luck will run out some day.

MLA
12-26-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm sure I'll get flamed to high heaven for this, but I use the Harbor Freight float chargers to keep my batteries topped off over the winter and after I'm using the boat. They're inexpensive and have a circuit in them to prevent overcharging.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20349.jpg

I've also wired a battery tender style plug onto mine to make it easier to hook up to the batteries.

I have a pair of Costco deep cycle marine batteries that I use in my boat. I haven't invested a ton in my battery system. Just something that does the job for the least amount of money.

If I ever drain my batteries, I'll recharge them with my big charger. It's a Schumacher that I think I got at Walmart. It has settings for "regular battery, deep cycle, AGM/GEL" and another setting for a "small vs large" battery. And has an "engine start" function too. I believe it's progressive and seems to do the job well.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/auto/detail-page/B001MYWBF0.01.lg.jpg

Not to flame you, but to the OP, the correct on-board charger will do both. Charge depleted batteries and keep them topped off when fully charged. All you have to do is plug in one charger, one time.

trayson
12-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Not to flame you, but to the OP, the correct on-board charger will do both. Charge depleted batteries and keep them topped off when fully charged. All you have to do is plug in one charger, one time.

Well of course if ya throw enough money at something, you can get all sorts of functionality.

I guess my question is "at what price"? I can get the harbor freight float chargers pretty easily for under $10 each. I run one battery as a "backup" on my boat, so that one rarely gets discharged. Really, the other one doesn't get too hammered either.

In my case I already had a schumacher smart charger from walmart (they cost about $45) so I just put in another $15 to keep mine topped off.

I know they have waaaaay more sophisticated systems. But for a guy with 2 costco batteries, is it really worth it? I mean how much money am I going to spend to get maybe another year (or maybe nothing) more out of a $75 costco battery?

If I was one of those guys with a ridiculous system running banks of golf cart batteries,
I guess it'd be a different story. But I've never been to a "real" party cove where the music's bumpin for 5+ hours...

I'm not arguing that an all in one solution is gonna be more convenient. I just wonder what a person gets at different solution price points...

trayson
12-26-2014, 08:46 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-deluxe-battery-maintainer-and-float-charger-61911.html

Look, a "deluxe" cheap option with the plugs I have been adding myself.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_24965.jpg

BGeorge01
12-26-2014, 09:54 PM
^^Similar to me. I'm no expert on batteries, but I am still running the original 2 that came with the boat when purchased in June 2006. Not sure what the magic formula is but I'm not about to change it!

One basic group 24 starter battery and a sealed AGM group 27 party battery.

Added couple of these about 3 years ago "just in case"

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-three-stage-onboard-battery-charger-maintainer-99857.html

Everything works perfectly although I'm sure my luck will run out some day.

So you guys just keep these plugged in and attached to the battery all winter or long storage it do you put them on and off a lot?

viking
12-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I use the schumacher and will usually put it on once every 2 months or so to keep the batt topped off. I rotate it through my different vehicles, lawn mower, side by side, RV batt, ect.... Simple, effective, and if I dont' get to it for a few days its in maintenance mode so no worries.

trayson
12-27-2014, 12:06 AM
So you guys just keep these plugged in and attached to the battery all winter or long storage it do you put them on and off a lot?

Yeah, the idea behind a "float" charger it to just keep them topped off. when voltage drops below a certain level, then it gives it a small current to bring it back up to "full".

Whereas the old idea of a "trickle" charger was unsophisticated and would give a small current with no stopping. so when a battery was "full" it would keep applying the current (albeit small) and led to people cooking batteries.

Personally, I use my float chargers any time my boat's going to sit, whether it be a day, week, or months. I like the idea of a full topped off battery any time I go out. It's just part of parking my boat after an outing. Back in, take out cooler and boards, unhitch, plug in float chargers, and usually put the cover back on the boat.

MLA
12-27-2014, 10:14 AM

With the proper charger yes. A multistage smart charger. If you go with marine on-board charger, they can be mounted in the boat and permanently connected to the battery(s). Unlike most of the non-marine, low-amp output maintainers, an on-board marine charger is:

Ignition protected so its safe to mount on the boat and in the engine bay
Built for the humid marine environment
Has options for different battery types. Some even allow for a different charge profile on each bank for different battery types on each bank.
Often times comes in a 2-bank or a 3-bank option for those boats with more than just a single cranking battery
Has the capacity to actually recharge a depleted battery.

i am not trying to poo-poo any of the devices linked in this thread, but need to point out. A 1.3A maintainer is going to work its ass off trying to recharge even a typical 60Ah group-24 deep-cycle after you've played the tunes with the anchor dropped for 4-6 hours. That 10 minute ride back to the dock wont get it done, so you must reply on shore charging to do it. A good rule of thumb, is to have a charger with an output in the range of 10% of your banks total Ah. Now, if all you have a single cranking battery and all you need is to keep it fresh for the off-season, a less expensive low output maintainer will do the job just fine.

ISUclonesrule
12-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Just got a email for a HF auto battery float charger for $4.99! As long as it doesn't burn out a battery, I would say its a good deal.