PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Dry Suit; HELP!

bashton
12-24-2014, 04:20 PM
So I need some help with this situation. Year before last I purchased a brand new O'Neil dry suit. Worked great for the first season and through the beginning of this year, but it now consistently leaks.

Since I was allowing my driver, (a considerably smaller than me female) use it, I figured the leakage was just due to her being in it before me, and her smaller size allowing water in through the cuffs, since it is clearly too big for her.

Alas, the last two times I used it, I found it still is allowing water in through the top, most likely in the area of the zipper, as that is where I end up getting soaked, mostly across my back. Since I am sure it is out of warrantee, can anyone recommend the best way to get it "re-sealed" so that it is as dry as it was the first season I used it?

I spent a lot of money on it, (close to $400), I hang and store it properly and loved it when it didn't leak, so I hate to write it off and buy another. I asked several of the local Pro Shops in my area, including the one I bought it at, and they recommended going to a dive shop or calling O'Neil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks;

Bob Ashton
2008 Moomba Outback DD
Radar Senate 67
CWB Vibe 142

Boonejeepin
12-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Contact O'Neil direct. I bet they can get you dry again in no time.

bashton
12-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Contact O'Neil direct. I bet they can get you dry again in no time.

Certainly worth a try!

Bob Ashton
2008 Moomba Outback DD
Radar Senate 67
CWB Vibe 142

Andy Digital
12-24-2014, 07:51 PM
You could try plasti dip, I hear it's great and they have different colors. Might be tough to get it off the sensitive areas. But you could tryit over a fleece onesie.

zabooda
12-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Our dry suits at dive rescue are sent to a shop in Seattle. It's usually a small hole in one of the gaskets.

iwaterskihard
12-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Contact the manufacture directly. Chances are from the sound of it you are going to need a new zipper. As a former scuba instructor from Canada I can tell you the zippers do wear out.

For all dry suit skiers out there I recommend you go to a dive shop and get yourself some zipper wax for your suits. It works despite what some may tell you?

AGIII
12-25-2014, 08:49 AM
I cut the neoprene neck too low on my Boost suit and when I contacted Oneill they told me it would be $20 to replace it. Haven't sent it back to them yet, but the process seemed very simple. I bet replacing the zipper would be around the same price. Good luck!

Boonejeepin
12-25-2014, 02:04 PM
I cut the neoprene neck too low on my Boost suit and when I contacted Oneill they told me it would be $20 to replace it. Haven't sent it back to them yet, but the process seemed very simple. I bet replacing the zipper would be around the same price. Good luck!

I don't know for sure but I think the zipper is over $100 just for the part. I guess that is the price paid for a specialty zipper.

996scott
12-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Mine started leaking from back by the zipper a while a go and I figured it was the zipper. I decided to try and figure out exactly where it was coming from. I put plastic cups in the hand and feet openings to seal them off and used my compressor and filled the suit with air from the neck opening keeping it tight around the air nozzle with my hands (sealing it off). It blew up just like a huge balloon. I was able to put my ear up around the zipper and hear that it was leaking from the seem under the zipper. I bought some Aquaseal from the boat shop and it worked awesome. I have used it several times since and not one drop of water. Here is a picture of the repair.

jester
12-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Scott,

If it leaks again contact O'Neil. I had all the seams around my zipper and hands go bad and sent it in for repair. Since it was a problem with the suit they did not charge me. Turn around time took about 2 weeks but easy and great to work with.

Delta Diver
12-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Do you wax the zipper? I don't have one for water sports but do for diving. Wax the zipper, powder the neck, wrists, and ankle seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk