PDA

View Full Version : Fin Explaination from Doomswell Boarding Company

trayson
12-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I saw this post today on Doomswell's facebook page. I thought it was interesting and relevant so I'm sharing it here:

More fin stuff explained.
I figured I would explain a little more about fins during this holiday break so we could help you decide on your next purchase as far as fins.
Let's start off with point number one which is template.
A template basically is 3 parts. How big of a base of the fin do you need, how much rake is in a fin and the height.
The BASE of the fin ,which is the closest part of the fin to the board, is going to determine how much drive essentially you will have. When coming out of a turn, a bigger base will give you more drive, which is also relative to a persons weight. Think about it like an Indy car vs your car tire. When accelerating out of a turn with a wide Indy car tire, you can get more drive or accelerate more out of a turn with the added surface area of that tire as opposed to your mothers van which has much less surface area and will skid out of that turn. So a wider base will help if you need more drive out of turns.
The height of the fin, will be determined by how big a person is. A fins height is like a T-Shirt. The bigger the person, the more surface area they will need. So a little bit more fin height will help a bigger person.
Next is RAKE. Rake is how much the fin actually sweeps backwards. The more the fin sweeps backwards, the more round your turns will be. The less rake or more vertical a fin is, the more you will be able to pivot your board quickly.
Next is the FOIL of the fin.
The foil is essentially the same as an airplane wing.
As the water flows on the outside of the fin, it creates low pressure, and the water on the inside of the fin (closest to the center of the board) creates high pressure. So the water on the inside of the fin pushes against the fin to the area of low pressure which the outside of the fin. That's what helps you to stay close to the wave face, and also what helps a plane stay in the air. The water on the inside of the fin pushes to the area of low pressure on the outside of the fin. MAKE SENSE!?
ALSO, the amount that the inside of your fin is "cupped" is a big factor as well.
You will notice some fins are flat on the inside and some are concave or cupped.
The flatter inside foil will help you control speed but not really help on generating speed as much as a foiled fin.
The more foiled a fin is, it will help generate more speed in smaller, weaker waves.
So in a nut shell, a bigger wave already creates speed for you which means you don't need as much foil and the smaller a wave is, the more foil you will need to generate more speed, and it will help you from rail to rail.
Lastly is flex. Flex is the movement of the fin laterally. On bigger waves you need more hold to stay in the face of the wave so you don't need much flex as flex would cause less hold in that situation.. You need more flex in smaller waves so that when you actually turn, the fins will flex then snap back to its natural position giving you a "spring" like effect, giving you more power out of the turn, helping you to get back into the wave faster.
We hoped this helped and have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N2eONnOXLLc/VJrrdbN4oCI/AAAAAAAAXLQ/YueuplgEyPo/s800/Fins.jpg

rca
12-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Thanks for sharing. Pretty good info.

rdlangston13
01-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Speaking of Doomswell I was able to track down the winner of the TX Jam Doomswell board from a couple years ago and make an offer on it. Glad it's found its way to my living room! http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/01A91F67-AD0A-4E52-89E5-959014D51693_zpsclknw4u5.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/01A91F67-AD0A-4E52-89E5-959014D51693_zpsclknw4u5.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
01-08-2015, 10:37 AM
That's really cool. Glad you were able to land it. Now you just need to learn to ride it. :cool:

trayson
01-08-2015, 12:26 PM
that's fantastic!!!!!! do you know what model it is? Maybe a drone?

Care to share how much you scored it for??? That's a board you'll be happy on for a LONG time!!!

mmandley
01-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Speaking of Doomswell I was able to track down the winner of the TX Jam Doomswell board from a couple years ago and make an offer on it. Glad it's found its way to my living room! http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/rdlangston13/01A91F67-AD0A-4E52-89E5-959014D51693_zpsclknw4u5.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/rdlangston13/media/01A91F67-AD0A-4E52-89E5-959014D51693_zpsclknw4u5.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPhone

That would have been my board since I won the raffle but I was partying on the water. When I asked the owner if I could buy it he said no at the time. Would have loved to got my hands on it..

trayson
01-08-2015, 01:18 PM
At least it went to a worthy recipient ultimately. David's an awesome guy, and if you would have had the pleasure of surfing on that thing he called a board, you'd know he DESPERATELY needed something legit. Sweet upgrade David!!!

rdlangston13
01-08-2015, 05:59 PM
It's the Doomswell Nubstep and I paid $200 for it. I felt like I did alright since it's never even been wet and they sell for $675 new according to the Doomswell website. Pretty excited to try it out as soon as it warms up a bit!

Thanks for the kind words Trayson!

Sent from my iPhone

viking
01-08-2015, 06:11 PM
It's the Doomswell Nubstep and I paid $200 for it. I felt like I did alright since it's never even been wet and they sell for $675 new according to the Doomswell website. Pretty excited to try it out as soon as it warms up a bit!

Thanks for the kind words Trayson!

Sent from my iPhone

YOU STOLE IT...........how do you sleep at night?

rdlangston13
01-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Like a baby

Sent from my iPhone

jmvotto
01-08-2015, 09:31 PM
That would have been my board since I won the raffle but I was partying on the water. When I asked the owner if I could buy it he said no at the time. Would have loved to got my hands on it..

They pulled your name and you had to be on shore to win, but you were still at the jam. Lame on them.

Great pick up david, glad it's back in the family

rca
01-09-2015, 11:33 PM
They pulled your name and you had to be on shore to win, but you were still at the jam. Lame on them.

Great pick up david, glad it's back in the family

Mike didn't come in until LONG after the raffle was over, lol. David if you don't like it, and as a wakeboarder I'm sure you won't be tempted, I'm first in line to take it off your hands. In fact I've got a XXX skim board I'll trade you straight up for it.

Ron

Woody929
01-10-2015, 03:34 AM
We had to go drag him off the water with police lights flashing on shore...

smorris7
01-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Wasn't he wrapped around one of those "fitness poles" 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
01-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Wasn't he wrapped around one of those "fitness poles" 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good God, the vision of that in my head almost made me throw up my breakfast.

mmandley
01-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Ok Ok hold the phone here.

Yes I was on the water till the Police Showed up.
Yes it was long after the raffle.
Yes I'm ok with not getting the boat at that time.
Yes I would have liked a chance to buy the board since I offered the guy at the event to buy it back if he ever sold it.

NO I wasn't alone on the water, Brian and Newty where with me.
No I wasn't on the pole, that was Newty--I have pics to prove it.

I warned the guys if I started drinking liqueur I would get super wasted fast. Fireball did me in.

Disclaimer, I was up the next morning at 7 am ready for a morning Surf Set with RCA while the other two guys where passed out and hung over...

rca
01-10-2015, 08:41 PM
True that Mike. You never let sleep get in the way of surfing!

rdlangston13
01-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Oh the slide show Dusty showed us that night of the pictures he snapped with Brian's camera at the tie up....

Ron, don't think I am going to let this board get away from me

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
01-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Oh the slide show Dusty showed us that night of the pictures he snapped with Brian's camera at the tie up....

Ron, don't think I am going to let this board get away from me

Sent from my iPhone

Actually it's always been my camera. Brian forgets his all the time. So I have the originals.

rca
01-11-2015, 05:23 PM
No worries David, just keep me in mind. I've got a Big Step from Doomswell, but I'd like a nubstep or drone for the boat too.