PDA

View Full Version : Block drain clogged..

SamHamm
12-22-2014, 09:44 PM
What's up guys. Sorry for my first post to be already asking questions but I cannot get any water out of the block drains. They are all stopped up with build up. Any idea on how to clear it up. I have tried clearing it with several things to no avail. I just bought the boat from a guy that didn't take real good care of it but I have big plans for it but trying to make it through winter now. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Boonejeepin
12-22-2014, 09:50 PM
I am sure you have already tried something similar but I would start with a coat hanger.

Was the boat used in Salt water?

SamHamm
12-22-2014, 10:04 PM
I am sure you have already tried something similar but I would start with a coat hanger.

Was the boat used in Salt water?

I have not tried a coat hanger yet because I didn't know how far I should be able to go. According to him it has not been in salt water. It is in really good shape mechanical. He paid to have everything done every year and has receipts for it all but he had a heated garage so I don't think he ever removed any plugs because the v drive ones still had the paint on them.

The boat is a 2004 Mobius XLV

996scott
12-23-2014, 01:34 AM
I have used a screw driver before to break up the buildup . Just go easy and it should work.

zabooda
12-23-2014, 02:27 AM
Replace the drains with newer type that open all the way up.

DOCDRS
12-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Unscrew the entire drain plug , and use a screw driver or similar. Also make sure you exhaust manifolds are cleared as well, once drained just blow into them to make sure the are free n clear. Think of the drain cocks as just plugs and remove them every year to drain. It may look like a lot of debris but don't worry the walls are thick.

bergermaister
12-24-2014, 02:41 AM
Gentle? I'd take the coat hanger to it after the plugs are out and have my way with it. It's cast iron, you're not going to hurt anything.

Plugged up drain ports cost me dearly one time. Never again...

lee
12-24-2014, 07:21 AM
If you have petcocks remove them totally and replace with a stand alone plug.

SamHamm
12-25-2014, 12:32 PM
They are completely removed them. One side had a knock sensor and the other side had a allen head plug. Does that sound factory? I cannot get a drop of water out. I'm going to get after it with a coat hanger and some air this weekend.

lee
12-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Sounds correct. You cannot hurt the block with a coat hanger. I have seen some so bad that I have had to tap the holes because the threads have rusted also.

Engine Nut
12-26-2014, 11:19 AM
They are completely removed them. One side had a knock sensor and the other side had a allen head plug. Does that sound factory? I cannot get a drop of water out. I'm going to get after it with a coat hanger and some air this weekend.

That sounds like the standard set-up for 2005 or earlier EFI engine. Our "official" winterization procedure in the Owner's Manual even says to use a piece of coat hanger wire to break up the scale. You may be able to flush some of the debris from the block by leaving the drain plugs out and running the engine for a while.