PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used an engine compartment heater

chillyx
12-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Has anyone used an engine compartment heater to avoid having to winterize? I'm in Georgia and we don't get that cold here. I wanted to head out today but we've already winterized and I dont want to have to re do it everytime I want to take it out.

lee
12-12-2014, 10:28 PM
It would work as long as your electricity NEVER went out.

brain_rinse
12-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Draining the block is so easy that I would never risk it.

Suprahunter
12-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Is it stored inside or outside? Do you have a heater in the boat?

trayson
12-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Is it stored inside or outside? Do you have a heater in the boat?

Agreed, more info would be good. Like asked above, if you have a heater, then you've got more to worry about than the block...

I have friends that keep their boats in insulated garages here in the PNW and don't winterize. never gets cold enough in the garage for something to freeze.

The common consensus though will be from the "don't do it" camp.

beat taco
12-15-2014, 01:59 PM
No heater? It would freeze first.

Rakkasan
12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Has anyone used an engine compartment heater to avoid having to winterize? I'm in Georgia and we don't get that cold here. I wanted to head out today but we've already winterized and I dont want to have to re do it everytime I want to take it out.

I live in your neck of the woods and still winterized this year. Boats kept in the garage year round. The garage is insulated but not heated and it never got cold enough last year to freeze bottles of water that are stored in there. That being said a half hours worth draining everything is still a lot cheaper than a new engine.