PDA

View Full Version : Hulu vs. Roku

Boatdrinks797
12-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm hoping to cut the cord and can't seem to figure out the real difference between Hulu and Roku for streaming media. Currently paying about $160/month for cable and basic HD cable. I don't want to give up my only must have channels (A&E, History and Discovery). Any regrets from anyone who has switched over from cable or dish? Which platform gives you the best programing or would I want both?

BGeorge01
12-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I did about 6 months ago and I don't miss that bill a bit! I have netflix, hulu, and a little satellite from walmart which gives me all of my local channels for free and in HD. I stream all of those through chromecast, which is awesome and I can stream from my phone or my computer using chromecast. I also just bought a amazon fire which is pretty nice also. The nice thing about the chromecast is I can stream from my computer to the tv. The chromecast is $30-$40 and I believe the amazon fire stick is about the same, seem to do about the same except stream from the computer. So about $18 a month for hulu and netflix. Hulu covers all of those channels that you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
12-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Chromecast or roku, if you want a remote go with the roku, plus there's additional channels on the roku. Don't think the amazon will have as much support as the others.

BGeorge01
12-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Chromecast or roku, if you want a remote go with the roku, plus there's additional channels on the roku. Don't think the amazon will have as much support as the others.

Ya, the remote for chromecast is your phone or computer really. I believe that chromecast supports hulu, netflix, YouTube, watch sports center app, and pandora. There may be a couple more but I can't remember them. Plus it will stream anything from your computer screen once you take 2-3 minutes to download the "chromecast extension." I don't have any experience with the roku and just started with the amazon fire stick, which has a remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
12-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Hulu is a channel ... Roku is a device. Roku vs Chromecast vs firestick etc.

I swapped from dish but ended up going with a a assoc cable subscription for locals. (Not close enough to pick up locals easily over the air). I did old school cable (no box). The kind you split 100 times for lots of TVs :)

My Chromecast experience was with an older unit ... It was a pita compared to my roku. The speed, connecting, etc.

The roku 3 moves as fluently as your dish and direct menus, if not smoother. Tons of channels .. Hulu, netflix, YouTube, HBO, vevo (tons of current music videos), Pandora, amazon prime, slacker, amazon cloud player, disney and tons others. I'm not sure what streaming service they don't offer.

I recently picked up a roku stick for an outdoor TV bc I was trying to limit power wires (it plus into TVs powered usb). It moves a little slower than the 3 and does not offer the headphone jack built into the remote. It works smoothly though.

I have no experience with the fire stick.

I've used both the stick and the 3 on wall mounted TVs if that is a concern. The 3 is just wedged between mount and tv.

I'm sold on the fluidness of roku. Happy to answer specific questions

KG's Supra24
12-06-2014, 12:31 AM
As far as streaming vs dish ...

Hulu carries most shows the day after they air but they won't carry all shows. We couldn't find everything we wanted which is why we ended up with basic cable.

We use Netflix more often than Hulu. It will not be as current on the TV show side but provides full series and tons of movies.

Some questions I had .. Multiple rokus can stream at once, even on same service. If I'm watching a series on TV a and go to TV b, I can pick my series up where I stopped. However that seems to be only working on the 3's. Wife mentioned the stick seems to be off an episode or so.

I'm around 100 for internet, cable, Hulu, Netflix. We weren't able to cut the cord completely on "live" tv

parrothd
12-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Can also cast or mirror whatever you have on your phone tablet to the Chromecast..pics, games, etc, etc..

dusty2221
12-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Ditto everything KG said, Roku also allows screen mirroring from other devices. We have 3 Roku 3's and 1 Chrome cast, Roku wins by a landslide imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
12-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Ditto everything KG said

Wow, not really surprised by this . . . .

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/06/6ec7a5fb1412f94a9c13ca7038c26d26.jpg

csm
12-06-2014, 12:46 PM
I've been tempted to do this, but the thing always holding me back is watching live sporting events that aren't on the local networks. If I'm not mistaken, there would be no way to watch games on ESPN, Fox Sports, NFL Network, etc... Right?

parrothd
12-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Not yet, but probably soon.. HBO just announced an online only version, the others will probably follow suit..

KG's Supra24
12-06-2014, 06:50 PM
I have heard rumors for sporting events but I think their is going to be alot of resistance to streaming live events.

Our solution was a basic cable package (no box). I have to flip channels from the remote like the old days. Basic = over 70 channels with all the normals in HD.

kaneboats
12-07-2014, 01:14 AM
All the sporting events are scripted now anyway so who cares?

Suprahunter
12-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Can you get a DVR to work in conjunction with the streaming systems . Do I still have to record my shows or are they available anytime? I am not very good with electronics so a simple system that controls commercials will be best.

parrothd
12-08-2014, 10:10 AM
There's no DVR, you steam real-time what you want to see. Not sure with Hulu, I think there's still commercials. Most new shows will be delayed a period of time before you can legally watch them. If you have the knowhow you can pirate/barrow(hehehe) shows right after they air without commercials.

I'm kinda stuck, have the nfl package and DVR 3-4 games so we can speed watch only the plays.

KG's Supra24
12-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Your shows won't be available forever, each of the services rotate their content over time.

Hulu will still have "commercials". That seems to be the cost of offering the shows the day after they air.

If you keep cable or satellite service, the streaming devices would not affect your ability to DVR.

Hulu usually keeps the current season available of the shows they carry. Netflix usually doesn't have three current season but will usually carry all seasons up unto the current. I'm not sure on HBO.

parrothd
12-08-2014, 10:29 AM
The nice thing about Netflix HBO is you can share the account, most people find a buddy that has them..wink wink

smokedog2
12-08-2014, 11:23 PM
+1 Roku, I use an over air $150 antenna for the OSU games. I have not missed cable TV a day. All of black list, 67 episodes of Last Man Standing, when done with those I'll find another show.

The phone bill is next.

SD2

Boatdrinks797
12-10-2014, 12:40 AM
If your looking to ditch the land line I've been using the Magic Jack for almost 5 years. The device is about $70 with an annual $20 fee I think. Works great too if you travel out of the county and connect to your laptop if you don't have an international plan on your cell. I work from home and keep it around for some of the long conference calls I sit on for hours.