PDA

View Full Version : Left drain plug in

jeffhtg
11-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Left drain plug in and bilge pump died during 3 days of intense rain.

Result = water up over the carpet line about 5 inches.

How bad is this going to be? Suggestions?

mmandley
11-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Should be no issues at all.

Just drain everything.
Get it to dry out.
Take Distilled Vinegar mix it 50% with water, Spray all the carpet down. This will help prevent mildew.

brain_rinse
11-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Yikes. Hopefully everything is OK but plenty of boats get totaled this way. 5 inches over the carpet is a lot of water. Drain all your fluids ASAP and check for water contamination. WD40 the block, vdrive, trans area once you are sure everything is fine to keep surface rust away. Good luck.

lee
11-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Going to need a new starter next year.

parrothd
11-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Wouldn't worry about it.. Check for other leaks, doubtful only rain was the issue. Probably the packing but leaking..

bergermaister
11-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Thinking maybe a carport is in order? Or at least a tarp over the cover when you know bad rains are coming.

gregski
11-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Wouldn't worry about it.. Check for other leaks, doubtful only rain was the issue. Probably the packing but leaking..
I have no idea how much rain it would take to fill the bilge/hull area but maybe 5" plus the 5" above the carpet would be 10 inches of rain... is that in line with your 3 day rainfall?

DOCDRS
11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Was the boat in your driveway or in the water? What boat do you have?

jeffhtg
12-01-2014, 11:30 AM
I have no idea how much rain it would take to fill the bilge/hull area but maybe 5" plus the 5" above the carpet would be 10 inches of rain... is that in line with your 3 day rainfall?

The boat was out of water on the trailer. It seems that the water line was below most of the electronics just fore of the block. 10" of rain is correct and we had record rainfall for a day or two in FL.

I've drained it and im charging the battery so i can run the bilge (if it works) or otherwise pump out the remainder of the water. So it has almost been 4-5 days it has sat with a little bit of water in it (whatever won't gravity drain) and then I plan on towing it to the dealer for my free oil change.

Should i bother with any other fluids?

jzelt
12-11-2014, 05:12 PM
I found that the float switch on our bilge pump sticks (so it wouldn't float on) when a hose came off the ballast bag and I was pumping water into the bilge. Check that as well if the pump works manually (and the battery was ok).