PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Replacement Questions

supervol0509
11-25-2014, 03:52 PM
I am looking to replace the inboard speakers on my boat during the offseason. I found another older thread discussing this, but some of the replacement recommendations are now discontinued. After looking at that thread, it appears my speakers have never been replaced, and apparently sound like crap, compared to what I could be getting. Anyway, much like those posters in that older thread, my speakers have cracked where the mounting holes are located, and one even popped out from time to time. The existing speakers have four mounting holes, and it appears (although I haven't looked really close) that they also have a female portion for those mounting screws. I've looked around, and some of the speakers out there for sale have four holes, others six, others I can't tell. I watched a YouTube video of a guy installing new speakers in a boat (not a ski/wakeboard boat), and it appeared that he screwed the speakers directly into the fiberglass. Not sure how well that holds up after some bumps. Anyway, should I try to find a speaker to match up with what I have, or is it not really a big deal? If they don't line up, how should I tap the new screws?

MLA
11-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Yes, you can secure the new speakers right to the fiber glass, but there are some precautions to take. I would not worry about trying to find a replacement speaker with the same bolt spread, as the existing. Likely the original holes are a little worn out. If the new speakers do line up, but the original holes are not in good shape, there are ways to remedy this. For the least amount of modifying, look for a replacement speaker with the same mounting hole ID. If you are up to making a real upgrade, you consider stepping up to the next speaker size, considering their OD and depth is not an issue.

Are your current speakers driven with an external amplifier? If not, installing one will make a huge difference in the speakers performance.

supervol0509
11-25-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm just looking to replace the existing 6-1/2" speakers with new. There is an amp installed. I think it only has enough outputs to power the 4 tower speakers, and 4 of the cabin speakers. The two in the bow are powered by the head unit. So, just go ahead with whatever speakers I like, regardless of the mounting screw layout? The existing screws actually hold the speakers pretty well, so I don't feel line the holes are worn out. So, if the holes do not line up, just secure the speakers directly to the fiberglass?

MLA
11-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Yes, no issue screwing the new speaker down to the fiber glass, when done correctly, just as they are now. if the holes do not line up, new ones can be drilled.

KG's Supra24
11-26-2014, 12:00 PM
probably worth mentioning ....

new speakers may not give you the day and night difference you have read in other posts if the new speakers are powered the same way as the current ones.