PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

aapwayneo2001
11-17-2014, 08:04 PM
We will be picking up a 2009 Mobius in a couple weeks and I've been looking into increasing the factory GIII ballast system. i have 2 800# sumo sacs currently but have looked at the 900# and 1100# sacs from wakemakers. We are newbies to surfing and get too old for the hard falls of wakeboarding LOL
My questions are
1) will the 800# sacs be sufficient for newbies wakesurfing? And will they fit in the rear lockers?
2) if the 800# won't work should I just go for the 1100# and not worry about the 900#?
3) will the factory bags fit under the front cushions? How would I inergrate them into the factory center
ballast?

MLA
11-17-2014, 08:21 PM
e
1) will the 800# sacs be sufficient for newbies wakesurfing? And will they fit in the rear lockers?
?

Learning to wake surfing is 100% opposite from learning to wake board in terms of needed ballast. For boarding, you are best to learn the basics on a small wake, usually no ballast needed. With wake surfing, beginners need a big wake with lots of push. This makes it so mush easier to find the pocket and surf with a slack rope, and later dropping it ans staying in the pocket. My advice, find out what weight is needed to best set the boat up, then go with the needed sacs now. This is better then going with a little ballast sac now, and soon realizing you need more. These can be filled manually for the season, or plumbed in in you are ready to tackle the project.

aapwayneo2001
11-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Learning to wake surfing is 100% opposite from learning to wake board in terms of needed ballast. For boarding, you are best to learn the basics on a small wake, usually no ballast needed. With wake surfing, beginners need a big wake with lots of push. This makes it so mush easier to find the pocket and surf with a slack rope, and later dropping it ans staying in the pocket. My advice, find out what weight is needed to best set the boat up, then go with the needed sacs now. This is better then going with a little ballast sac now, and soon realizing you need more. These can be filled manually for the season, or plumbed in in you are ready to tackle the project.
Makes perfect sense
The boat we are picking up already has GIII so it's just a matter of getting new bags hooked up in the back but for the front I'll just have to see if the factory bags will work for now I guess

gregski
11-17-2014, 09:13 PM
My advice, find out what weight is needed to best set the boat up, then go with the needed sacs now.
And by "needed" he means "the absolute max that will fit"!

I think that you'll see a difference between your 800# sacks and 1100# but I don't think you'll see a huge difference between the 800 and 900s. I wouldn't spend the money to only gain 100#. If you are spending the money, you are better off going to the 1100s. You could always fill them to only 900# if you'd like.

I am assuming that the shape of the 800s is such that they can completely fill in the locker.

aapwayneo2001
11-17-2014, 09:30 PM

I think that you'll see a difference between your 800# sacks and 1100# but I don't think you'll see a huge difference between the 800 and 900s. I wouldn't spend the money to only gain 100#. If you are spending the money, you are better off going to the 1100s. You could always fill them to only 900# if you'd like.

I am assuming that the shape of the 800s is such that they can completely fill in the locker.
This is what I have
http://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-800-single.html
Had them for my outback DD but hardly ever used them because of the amount of floor space they took up

MLA
11-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Actually, no. I've surfed a few boats that will hold more than whats needed for the ideal wave. "the absolute max that will fit" can lead to a washed out wave thats too steep and lip that rolls over too soon.

aapwayneo2001
11-18-2014, 07:12 AM
I guess for now I'll see if the 800# will fit without any problems and if it's not enough weight I'll go to the 1100#

gregski
11-19-2014, 01:26 AM
I guess for now I'll see if the 800# will fit without any problems and if it's not enough weight I'll go to the 1100#
They should fit perfect. It has the same overall dimensions (50x24x24) as the 1100#. The volume difference is just due to the circular cross-section.