PDA

View Full Version : Tire's lean In and have bad Wear

jsb1014
11-12-2014, 09:10 PM
At the end of this season I noticed that I had very strange tire wear on the left side. The inside is worn smooth and the outside of the tire is worn and choppy. The tire also became egg shaped. I don't know if it’s just a bad tire or if this points to other problems. Both tires lean in about a half inch in the height of the wheel, is that normally on these trailers? It’s a 2007 and this is the first season I've had the boat, any help would be very appreciated I tow a up to 4 hours away severally times a year and I don't what to get stuck on the side of the road.

13mobiusLSV
11-12-2014, 09:41 PM
My Initial guess would be a bent axle(s)

rdlangston13
11-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I think the spindles on these trailers bend very easily. all 4 of mine are like this. I had the local tire shop flip all the tires on the rims when the insides got worn out :-)

Sent from my iPhone

viking
11-12-2014, 11:16 PM
I have a 2007 single axle and have had to replace 2 sets of tires due to same wear. First set was at about 3 year mark and had a blowout that took out a fender. And I had to replace the second set last summer (another 4 years). I tow everywhere and the port side is worse than starboard. FWIW i've talked to 3 different tire shops and they all said most trailer tires are good for 3-4 years and should replace anyway.
I toss alot of gear in my boat when we go so I attribute some of it to that. My real worry has been a failed torsion axle that many have experienced but hasn't happened to me yet so happy about that. Boatmate indicated it would have happened by now (that was 4 years ago when I contacted Boatmate about it) if it was going to happen.

rdlangston13
11-13-2014, 12:27 AM
I have a 2007 single axle and have had to replace 2 sets of tires due to same wear. First set was at about 3 year mark and had a blowout that took out a fender. And I had to replace the second set last summer (another 4 years). I tow everywhere and the port side is worse than starboard. FWIW i've talked to 3 different tire shops and they all said most trailer tires are good for 3-4 years and should replace anyway.
I toss alot of gear in my boat when we go so I attribute some of it to that. My real worry has been a failed torsion axle that many have experienced but hasn't happened to me yet so happy about that. Boatmate indicated it would have happened by now (that was 4 years ago when I contacted Boatmate about it) if it was going to happen.

Boat mate told me the problem was fixed by the 08 year model and that I have nothing to worry about but I swear after they said that someone with an 08+ boat had a failure. Been lucky so far tho

Sent from my iPhone

yearround
11-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Boat mate told me the problem was fixed by the 08 year model and that I have nothing to worry about but I swear after they said that someone with an 08+ boat had a failure. Been lucky so far tho

Sent from my iPhone

I cannot really contribute to viking question for why the tread wear on the tires. my uninformed guess would be the torsion axle if that is what you have. Not too difficult replacement if you have the tools and skills.

I can respond to RD. I have an 08 LSV that we bought new in April of 08. One torsion axle failed in the spring 2013. Boatmate warrantied both axles for me, even though we were out of the warranty time period by a few months. I replaced the failed axle, but have not done the other yet. So if the claim is that they fixed the torsion axle from 08 on, I would disagree.

I tow everywhere, and would estimate that I tow at least 2000 miles per year. I replaced the tires this year, though they still had ample tread, I had other issues that necessitated the replacement.

viking
11-13-2014, 01:15 PM
^^ I think your right and it's just lip service to anyone that hasn't had a failed axle ^^
I believe they figure they'll just address it when/if contacted about the axles when failed. I gave them the axle number when I contacted them around the time of several failures and Jerry at Boatmate told me point blank it would have failed by now if it was going to fail.
I just cross my fingers before every trip :confused:

jsb1014
11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
I was thinking it may be the axle, but was hoping it was the spindles. Is there any way to tell which one it may be. I don't what to just throw money at it, but like i said i do trailer everywhere and my worst fear is that the axle would break

mmandley
11-13-2014, 07:16 PM
At the end of this season I noticed that I had very strange tire wear on the left side. The inside is worn smooth and the outside of the tire is worn and choppy. The tire also became egg shaped. I don't know if it’s just a bad tire or if this points to other problems. Both tires lean in about a half inch in the height of the wheel, is that normally on these trailers? It’s a 2007 and this is the first season I've had the boat, any help would be very appreciated I tow a up to 4 hours away severally times a year and I don't what to get stuck on the side of the road.

My first thought here is Under inflation, tires wear out on the edges, even though you see it more on 1 side then the other, the fact is both outer edges are wearing.

Summer of 13 our new trailer ate through 4 tires by the end of summer.

Ended up being the tires separated internally.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170904_zpsggjpmiga.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170904_zpsggjpmiga.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170854_zps77wz7xuw.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170854_zps77wz7xuw.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170845_zpsyxvhzrgu.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170845_zpsyxvhzrgu.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170833_zpsiou78mo4.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Moomba%20Mojo/20130929_170833_zpsiou78mo4.jpg.html)

cornrickey
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Is the edge wear consistent all the way around? It not then it's thread separation.

jsb1014
11-14-2014, 10:00 PM
no its not consistent its very smooth in some spots and others have some tread, and it isn't round meaning it's has a little bit of an egg shape to it. and i check tire pressure before ever trip so i don't think that had any thing to do with it. if it is the just a bad tire why to the wheel/tires lean in so much?

viking
11-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Sounds like the same symptoms I noticed before replacement

cornrickey
11-15-2014, 02:31 AM
The symptom of the significant uneven wear on the same plane of the tire is due to a out of round area of tire. Normally (always) this is due to thread separation that enables the separated thread to rise causing a worn spot. Tread separation can be caused by material failure (broken cords from impact or corrosion) or delamination due to heat.

This all being said (and getting this from only a couple pictures) I think
you have a failed axle/spindle that only allows the tire to run on it's extreme edge of tread causing significant heat build up which in turn caused the delamination. What you are seeing is the symptoms of your axle issue. Have them dismount it and take a look inside. Ive seen the inside of tires filled with rubber the consistency of fluff from this and running low.

jsb1014
11-16-2014, 02:37 PM
alright I guess Iam going to get a new axle thanks so much everyone for the help.

murraymoomba
11-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Our 07 is the same way. I thought about flipping the spindle to the opposite side. Idk if that would work??
Those tires had separated. I now put a 10 ply tires on ours with 80lbs of air. They seem to be better on the slight angle.

rdlangston13
11-17-2014, 12:36 PM
alright I guess Iam going to get a new axle thanks so much everyone for the help.

If it's a torsion axle then you probably just need a new trailing arm/spindle. Much cheaper and easier to replace than a whole axle

Sent from my iPhone

jsb1014
11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
I was going to get 10 ply tires anyway so maybe i just try that first. and i would love just to get a new trailing arm, but thats where I am unsure if that will fix it, or if my torsion is going bad? I've just seen the guys on here that had axle break then you get it towed.

rdlangston13
11-18-2014, 01:48 AM
I don't think the torsion axle failing will cause abnormal tire wear until the fender is on the tire

Sent from my iPhone

murraymoomba
11-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Boatmate blamed me for hitting curbs bending my spindles. That's not the case. A lot of single axles and tandems have the lean in just look at them at the boat ramp.
I think the price for new spindles was about $250 each a couple years ago.

rdlangston13
11-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Boatmate blamed me for hitting curbs bending my spindles. That's not the case. A lot of single axles and tandems have the lean in just look at them at the boat ramp.

McClane Trailers in Houston has them for $200 each, I had to replace one this summer. Might be different from single axle to double though. I think the single axle ones are beefier

jsb1014
11-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Boat mate told me the same thing. So do think the tie leaning in is normal?

murraymoomba
11-20-2014, 07:07 PM
It wasn't like that when it was new. I don't trailer but 2 times a year now but used to be a couple hundred miles a week. I'm on my 3rd set of tires.

rdlangston13
11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't think the axles and spindles boat mate uses are robust enough personally. I think the tandem axle for an LSV is two 3,500 lb axles which should be plenty as long as both axles are constantly in contact with the ground however on some inclines and such I experience the tires on one axle or the other leaving the ground causing one axle to bear the whole load. That and if my truck can take a medium sized pot hole at 65 mph and not bend anything then I think the trailer should too. The roads we drive on, especially around lakes in remote areas, are not always the smoothest...