PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages

zabooda
11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm reading about the power outages associated with the current cold weather and wonder how people deal with having their boats in heated storage units without fully winterizing their boat. I still think the boat needs to be winterized if you live in areas of sustained freezing temperatures. What's your thoughts?

viking
11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
agreed.....that's why I winterize/drain before tucking away in the shop!

wolfeman131
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, there is someone on this forum that just last season bought himself a new motor because of a mishap with a heated garage. Not sure I'd risk it.

Jason05216
11-12-2014, 03:55 PM
After asking the question in another thread and also seeing that thread I'm going to drain mine. Better safe than sorry. As long as I don't lose my heat before Sunday I'll be OK. My boat has the Raptor engine and it looks pretty straightforward in the manual to get it done.

sandm
11-13-2014, 08:12 AM
mine is in a climate controlled facility, however ALWAYS drain it and winterize as you never know. if his power goes out, the liability is on me not him as I'm sure most offsite storage facilities are.

tnbrooks01
11-15-2014, 01:00 PM
It's a very delicate balance for us as we ride all year long. Our new house has insulated and heated boat garage with alarm that will go off if temp falls below 38deg. Also since we live in a rural electric coop area and are very susceptible to power outages my house is wired with backup generator.

With all that said it's still worth it to take the time to drain the boat!!!