PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sound speaker rebuild

mobius maximus
11-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I've been looking through the previous posts and couldn't find anything on this. I have the wet sound rev 8 tower speakers and unfortunately one of the speakers is dead.The speaker is not blown however. Does anyone know if they offer rebuild kits or anything for the speakers? Thanks!

MLA
11-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Define "dead" but not blown? You have 3 components in the pod: mid-bass driver, compression driver and cross-over. Each could fail with a distinct symptom and can be replaced individually.

mobius maximus
11-13-2014, 07:00 PM
I checked the polarity with a volt meter. And the speaker would have no response to it. Neither sucking in or out.

MLA
11-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Do you mean that you mean you checked the pods impedance or the amp's ACV output? Even if the polarity of the speaker leads are reversed, the speaker will still play. What was the output to the pod? What was the impedance of the pod? Have you pulled the driver to make sure nothing is disconnected internally? Have you check the impedance of the mid-bass driver and compression driver with them disconnected from the cross-over?

valleywine
11-13-2014, 10:26 PM
I have 4 rev 8's and two of them sound slightly lower volume. I believe one is from each amp which is a little lower volume. Could a reverse polarity be the issue? They are still loud and amps are set equal.

MLA
11-13-2014, 10:53 PM
I have 4 rev 8's and two of them sound slightly lower volume. I believe one is from each amp which is a little lower volume. Could a reverse polarity be the issue? They are still loud and amps are set equal.

Yes, its possible. If I am reading your post correctly, you are running dual amps to drive 2 pair? Are they 4 chnl amps and are they the same? There can be some slight differences in amp setting dials, so just because all the gain dials are set to the same hash mark on the amp housing, doesnt mean they are gained the same, Sometimes you need to do it by ear or with equipment. Dual amps also need to be feed with the same RCA source thats split, not the 2nd amp supplied via the 1st amps pass through output.

valleywine
11-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes both amps are WS HT2 and ea run a pair. Same settings but they are daisy chained I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MLA
11-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Yes both amps are WS HT2 and ea run a pair. Same settings but they are daisy chained I believe.

Yep, if amp #2 RCA's are coming from Amp #1's pass-thru ports, then thats the volume difference even though the gain dials are the same. I would 1 of 2 things.

1) put both pair on a single HT-2. Power wise, there's no audible difference and that amp will drive all 4 just fine. 2) sell/trade both HT-2's for a Syn-2.

valleywine
11-13-2014, 11:08 PM
If I configured to one amp wouldn't that mean I'm running the rev 8s at 2 ohms?

MLA
11-13-2014, 11:23 PM
If I configured to one amp wouldn't that mean I'm running the rev 8s at 2 ohms?

The amps chnls will see a 2 ohm load, but each speaker is still 4 ohm. There is nothing wrong with running with running a 2 ohm stable amp at 2 ohm. In a controlled environment with a premier driver, some will note a slight SQ drop between 4 and 2 ohm, but not with an HLCD on a boat tower. That amp will run all day @ 2 ohm x 2 and not skip a beat. The slight difference in wattage between 165W to each and 150W to each is not audible.

jmvotto
11-13-2014, 11:41 PM
I thought WS were perfect and didn't need fixin!:rolleyes:

Bergs. MO PWI. On throw back Thursday

valleywine
11-14-2014, 12:33 AM
So wire them up pos to pos and neg to neg and I would be good? Good to know. Sorry to hijack thread just wanted some insight.

bergermaister
11-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I thought WS were perfect and didn't need fixin!:rolleyes:

Bergs. MO PWI. On throw back Thursday

Wha???

10char

jmvotto
11-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Aren't you always posting while drinking a beer😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
11-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Go home exile, you're drunk and your sound is distorted.

bergermaister
11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
I believe you meant the magic "B" word to be plural?
Really only on days that end in Y.
The rest of the time it's whiskey.

I'm pretty sure that KG has hit his head on his tower a few too many times too.

jmvotto
11-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I believe you meant the magic "B" word to be plural?
Really only on days that end in Y.
The rest of the time it's whiskey.

I'm pretty sure that KG has hit his head on his tower a few too many times too.

Yes in deed KG forgot his helmet. I always though Beer was plural , like deer:cool:

MLA
11-15-2014, 11:21 AM
So wire them up pos to pos and neg to neg and I would be good? Good to know. Sorry to hijack thread just wanted some insight.

Yes exactly. one pair + to + and - to - on one chnl, repeat for the other pair on the other chnl. Amp sees a 2 ohm load and its output is 300W rms x 2, each speaker nets 150W.

valleywine
11-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Yes exactly. one pair + to + and - to - on one chnl, repeat for the other pair on the other chnl. Amp sees a 2 ohm load and its output is 300W rms x 2, each speaker nets 150W.

Copy that.......thanks