PDA

View Full Version : Kicker system in F150

beat taco
11-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Can I add the Kicker sub from the F150 system to my factory Sony system?

MLA
11-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Dont see why not, but with a little more info, we could get you on a more narrow path.

13mobiusLSV
11-11-2014, 01:08 PM
I went down this road a few years ago on my 09 fx4. My neighbor is a service manager of a local ford dealership. I asked him what it would take to get the whole Sony set up, from the tweeters down to the sub. He said to go aftermarket. I ended up replacing all speakers with alpine and pushing them with an alpine amp. Was a definite upgrade but doesn't sound as near as good as the Sony system which my dad has in his 09 lariat.

rdlangston13
11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
What about adding a sub to a Bose system in a 370Z?

Sent from my iPhone

beat taco
11-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I want to add the VSS Substage 10" powered subwoofer to my 2013 crew cab f150 that came stock with a sony 8" sub. The retailer told me his installers and Kicker said it won't work. I thought it would. Maybe you just get signal from a different place with the sony system?

MLA
11-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Trying to dig up a manual online. Did they indicate why it wont work? fitment or integration issue?

Found this description for the K-SF150C09 on one site

No one knows audios systems like Kicker, and when it comes time to make your 2009 to 2014 F150 Super Crew blast your tunes, they have one of the best systems on the market. Meet the Kicker VSS (Vehicle Specific Solution) SubStage powered subwoofer kit. This complete system is designed for trucks that missed out on the Sony HD Audio upgrade package from the factory and need a bigger bass boom at a lower price and without any other gimmicks. The VSS SubStage kit even uses the wiring meant for the Sony kit and requires absolutely no cutting or splicing

Sounds like it may not be a plug n play integration, meaning the sony connectors are different from others, but this site states its part of it.

irish-racing
11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Go aftermarket. I just replaced every speaker in my '15 Lariat with JL audio stuff. Nothing crazy there mid grade stuff. Sounds a lot better. I hated the sony system from day one. If you have SYNC and want to keep it you have to get the wiring harness that is compatible with that. The stereo place I took it got me one for $60.

csm
11-11-2014, 04:11 PM
I have a 2014 F150 Lariat.... I replaced my 8" Sony with the 10" VSS Kicker Substage. No issues. Sounds a million times better.

Mine is a SuperCrew.... Not sure if it's compatible with non-super crews.

zabooda
11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Having an amplified subwoofer would work. If your old subwoofer was amplified then it is a direct replacement otherwise you will need to adjust your gain at the stereo and at the subwoofer accordingly.

beat taco
11-11-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a 2014 F150 Lariat.... I replaced my 8" Sony with the 10" VSS Kicker Substage. No issues. Sounds a million times better.

Mine is a SuperCrew.... Not sure if it's compatible with non-super crews.

Mine is also a Screw. You were able to plug it into the factory sony harness? Do you have the large screen or the 4.5" in the dash?

csm
11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I have the big touch screen.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it comes with a new harness that you tap into the system. The hardest part for me was tapping into the right wires under the dash.

If you haven't seen them, here are the instructions it comes with: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/206/206SF150C9_DL.PDF

mmandley
11-12-2014, 12:24 PM
This is an interesting thread. I would deff like to upgrade the Sub on the truck. I am not in a real hurry to replace the Doors and Tweets due to they actually do sound pretty good. Yes they are not Super High End but in my truck they are under full replacement for 75K. This way at least if I blow them I get a free new one.

I will need to look into this sub deal though.

Looking at the price of $700.00 though I could have a custom built.

Plus I like that mine is under the 40% seat and I can store my gun and other things under the 60% seat.

rdlangston13
11-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Plus I like that mine is under the 40% seat and I can store my gun and other things under the 60% seat.

How are you supposed to get to it in a hurry if it's stashed under the back seat???

Sent from my iPhone

beat taco
11-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I have the big touch screen.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it comes with a new harness that you tap into the system. The hardest part for me was tapping into the right wires under the dash.

If you haven't seen them, here are the instructions it comes with: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/206/206SF150C9_DL.PDF

Thanks for all the input! How much larger is the footprint over the sony sub.

csm
11-13-2014, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the input! How much larger is the footprint over the sony sub.

The Sony is about 14" wide... The Kicker is closer to 26", so you lose a foot or so.

uniwarking
11-13-2014, 08:34 AM
My '12 didn't have the Sony system. I changed the doors to Infinity reference speakers which made a huge difference. I also added a powered sub that fits under my front passenger seat:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html?tp=114

It packs a lot of punch for such a small package. Many guys are putting one or even two of them behind the rear seats. All in all, maybe ~$350 spent in total and it's made a huge difference.