PDA

View Full Version : stripped out engine block plug

Jceclipse01
11-08-2014, 10:54 AM
I have a stripped out hex head bolt on the engine block plug. what can I do to fix it or just winterize the boat. its a 2004 outback xlv thanks jordan

nitrodude24
11-08-2014, 11:00 AM
At your local parts store lisle has a set of tools essentially a socket that you hammer over the bolt head it has teeth that bite into the metal the you back it out. I would recommend a little heat to expand the blocks from a heat gun or small torch

Jceclipse01
11-08-2014, 11:06 AM
its not a bolt head its like a plug that has a allen head recessed into the middle of the bolt

moombadaze
11-08-2014, 11:16 AM
find and buy a ezout reverse drill bitt set, basically as it drills in it will grab the bolt and it hopefully will back out, may have to start out with the small bit and then go to a larger one, then just buy a new one bolt.

parrothd
11-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Use the ezout as a last resort, if it breaks off in the bolt you're screwed. I'd spray it with pb blaster for a day, then add some heat, then beat a something(l like a torx bit or next size larger Allen into it..

ninedriver
11-08-2014, 12:57 PM
X2^
Don't be shy on the heat and if u can beat the next size socket in there, try to slightly tighten the bolt before trying to loosen it. Also, use a hammer to tap on the wrench or ratchet instead of trying to muscle it. It'll act like an impact gun which will help break the bolt free

Jceclipse01
11-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Ok I will start by spraying pb blaster on it for a few days. Could i just drain the other side and fill the block with antifreeze and would that mix with the water that's left in the block and be safe.

gregski
11-08-2014, 05:45 PM
its not a bolt head its like a plug that has a allen head recessed into the middle of the bolt
Was it replaced? The normal drain plugs are brass with a bolt head... not an allen type. I just want to make sure you're doing what you think you're doing.

I'm assuming that the bolt head is still exposed - i.e. not recessed like a set screw.

For getting it out, I would recommend trying a "damaged bolt remover". Here's an example: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P These are common and you wouldn't have to buy a set, this was just a quick google search. (Although once you buy a set, you'll love having them available)

I don't know exactly how to describe them. It basically works like an easy out but on top of the bolt head, not from a drilled hold. They are tapered with cutting edges and are "reverse threaded" so to speak. So, you put it over a damaged bolt (rounded head - or no head in your case) then you start turning it counter-clockwise (lefty loosey) which causes it to advance/tighten onto the bolt. Once it's tight, you continue to turn CCW which then removes the damaged bolt.

lee
11-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Could i just drain the other side and fill the block with antifreeze and would that mix with the water that's left in the block and be safe.

No! You need to get all of the water out.

Jceclipse01
11-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Use the ezout as a last resort, if it breaks off in the bolt you're screwed. I'd spray it with pb blaster for a day, then add some heat, then beat a something(l like a torx bit or next size larger Allen into it..

the pb blaster and the torx bit took it out thanks so much