PDA

View Full Version : Article on "Wake Envy"

trayson
11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
I thought this was a great read. I think that SOOO often we're so focused on how awesome we can make our wakes, and to some extent don't focus enough on the skills to ride them.

I totally fall victim to this! I've heard myself saying that I probably could have pulled that 360 wakesurfing "if I'd been on a skim board" or I could have saved it "if I was riding a bigger wave with more push".

Thankfully, I also swing the other way and have focused on learning technique to where I can do various things regardless of the wake. I've thrown tricks on a wakeboard behind a 17' bayliner. I've surfed ropeless behind a 21' Tige with no ballast. So I'm glad I can at least appreciate the sports despite the equipment/gear/conditions.

From Wakeworld: (http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/wake-envy.html)

I want to take a moment to address a seemingly incurable compulsion that seems to be plaguing our sport. I’m going to go ahead and give it the name: Wake Envy. However, there is probably a lot more to it than that. This seems to be a very widespread affliction that hits all demographics from the beginners just learning how to jump to some of the top professionals in our sport. I’ll even admit that I’ve succumbed to Wake Envy now and again. However, I seem to have a pretty good grip on it at the moment.

So what exactly is Wake Envy? Let’s just call it a relative discontent with your current riding situation as a result of previous experiences on a different boat (sometimes this can even be on your own boat), riding location or weather condition. Generally speaking, it usually revolves around the wake not being big enough, steep enough, clean enough, wide enough or narrow enough.

An individual inflicted with Wake Envy truly believes that the wake is restrictive and is preventing them from progressing as a rider. In all reality, I’d venture to say that at least 95% of the time, this isn’t true. If Wake Envy were a completely internalized emotion, then it really wouldn’t be an issue. However, most infected individuals make it a point to share their dissatisfaction with everyone around them and really put a damper on the situation.

I’ve been teaching wakeboarding for the past 14 years. I’ve never had the largest wake of any of my friends, but it has always been very functional for every level of rider. That being said, I’ve heard a lot of misguided things regarding wakes and what people are capable of doing off of them. I’ve heard people say that they "need pro level ballast" in order to jump wake to wake. I’ve been told that the wake on my loaded down boat wasn’t big enough for them to be able to do their basic inverts. However, when I was able to pull off those same inverts and more the reason was "because I’m a pro." Apparently, being "pro" is equivalent to having magical powers.

Obviously, I don’t have magic powers. What is true is that I learned most of what I can do on the water behind a 1996 direct drive ski boat with an extended pylon and two Fat Sacs. When I needed the wake to be larger, I would call for a double up and use the extra kick to help advance my riding. I would crash a lot, but I would always get up and try again. I put a lot of time and effort into wakeboarding both on and off the water and, as a result, my technique improved, which caused my riding to improve. It was my determination that allowed me to succeed, not the size of my wake.

Wake Envy can affect even the greenest of beginners as well. Many newbies are adamant that they need a large wake. What they don’t understand is that it is significantly more important to have proper technique than a large wake. It is technique that allows you to maximize pop and maintain control. It’s technique that minimizes injuries in a sport that is inundated with injuries. Sure, a large wake will throw you up in the air, but more air and a lack of control due to poor technique don’t go well together. Take some time working on your body position, your approach into the wake and making sure you stand tall at the top of the wake in order to get your pop. Having a great wake doesn’t carry over from boat to boat, but good technique does.

So if you’re out on a boat and you aren’t confident that the wake will allow you to land your hardest moves, instead of exemplifying symptoms of Wake Envy, focus your riding on something positive. Grab the board differently. Poke it in a different way. Work on ollie 180s and 360s. Play around with boardslides, powerslides and tail presses. Ride switch. Hop on a wakeskate. Or view the not-so-perfect wake as a challenge and figure out what you need to do in order to land those tough moves. No matter what you do, make sure you’re having fun on the water.

And if you don’t believe me, below is video of Scott Byerly killing it on a tiny wake (no ballast), a short line, sandal bindings, no tower and a directional board. Below that, check out Phil Soven landing a whirly 5 behind a jet ski.

I loved the video of Byerly throwing down with gear and equipment that most of us wouldn't even bother riding with/behind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DupkCGXnhQU

trayson
11-04-2014, 05:00 PM
And here's the other video about throwing a whirly bird behind a jetski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuA6dWTO5NE

bergermaister
11-04-2014, 07:04 PM
I mirror Daze's recent comment -

I have a bad case of "not enough time behind the wake envy"

trayson
11-04-2014, 07:14 PM
I mirror Daze's recent comment -

I have a bad case of "not enough time behind the wake envy"

Quit remodeling your house. Make your kids quit their other sports.

Problem solved.

kaneboats
11-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I've had this argument with people on both sides of it. Yes, technique is the most important thing. However, when it comes to wakesurfing, the size of the board and size of the rider can require a minimum wake size or you simply can't do it. EX: Big guy on tiny board behind no ballast wake is going to have an extremely difficult time surfing compared to a small kid on a regular sized board with the same wake.

But, maybe that's another point altogether. Get the right equipment for your wake instead of whining about the limitations of your boat or its wake.

trayson
11-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I've had this argument with people on both sides of it. Yes, technique is the most important thing. However, when it comes to wakesurfing, the size of the board and size of the rider can require a minimum wake size or you simply can't do it. EX: Big guy on tiny board behind no ballast wake is going to have an extremely difficult time surfing compared to a small kid on a regular sized board with the same wake.

But, maybe that's another point altogether. Get the right equipment for your wake instead of whining about the limitations of your boat or its wake.

To your thoughts I've always said the equation is:

Rider Skill + Board + Wake

Two of these can compensate for the third...

mmandley
11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
To your thoughts I've always said the equation is:

Rider Skill + Board + Wake

Two of these can compensate for the third...

I completely agree with this.

I can Free Surf some pretty small boat waves if i have my Soulcraft.
If i have to use a low quality board but the boat has a legitimate wave then I can free surf it.
Rarely have I not been able to free surf a wave that I have been on since I learned to free surf.

Now I will say just because I can free surf it doesn't mean 1 small mistake and its over, VS if I have a bigger wave or a fast board I can recover that small mistake.

I very much agree,
Skill + Board + Wake is the real combo to surfing. Take away any 1 point and you can do it, take 2 away and your toast.

trayson
11-05-2014, 03:16 PM
I completely agree with this.

I can Free Surf some pretty small boat waves if i have my Soulcraft.
If i have to use a low quality board but the boat has a legitimate wave then I can free surf it.
Rarely have I not been able to free surf a wave that I have been on since I learned to free surf.

Now I will say just because I can free surf it doesn't mean 1 small mistake and its over, VS if I have a bigger wave or a fast board I can recover that small mistake.

I very much agree,
Skill + Board + Wake is the real combo to surfing. Take away any 1 point and you can do it, take 2 away and your toast.

In your case, I might amend the formula to:

Skill + Board + Wake + Beer

Or is that minus beer????

mmandley
11-05-2014, 03:19 PM
In your case, I might amend the formula to:

Skill + Board + Wake + Beer

Or is that minus beer????

Nope Beer helps, as long as its kept to only a few.
Beer knocks off the ability to Sharply cut the board or do too drastic of movements.

I think we told you the term,

Yelling back, Trayson STOP F***ing my wave, and make Love to it. LOL

Drink to many beers and we have noticed a Drastic Disability to surf but a Dramatic Ability to entertain people while you fall off the wave LOL

trayson
11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Nope Beer helps, as long as its kept to only a few.
Beer knocks off the ability to Sharply cut the board or do too drastic of movements.

I think we told you the term,

Yelling back, Trayson STOP F***ing my wave, and make Love to it. LOL

Drink to many beers and we have noticed a Drastic Disability to surf but a Dramatic Ability to entertain people while you fall off the wave LOL

I don't even need beer...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-F2x03mDxWCQ/VDq7niYCnvI/AAAAAAAAUjE/cPPBnQI54iQ/s800/IMG_1856.JPG