PDA

View Full Version : Cover pooling?

parrothd
11-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I added these vented poles from amazon prime, $20 each..

gregski
11-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I keep thinking about buying those. One question: When you are putting the cover on, how easy is it to get the pole to stand up in the right place and does it stay? Do you put the cover on from the sides, or do you climb in and work your way down?

OK that was two questions.

parrothd
11-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I start from the inside by the windshield and work my way back to platform, one side then the other. Once you get enough snaps on one side the poles kinda fall into place without much fussing. With a mooring or regular cover it's definitely more work. I'll never go back to a regular cover.. :)

trayson
11-04-2014, 01:19 PM
interesting. I have a mooring/towing cover on my XLV and it's pretty easy. the poles (one in the bow, one in the center) seem to stay in place easy. My poles snap into the cover so that makes it super easy. I'd say even with attaching the 4 side buckles around the tower legs and the two loops to the rear tie down straps and then cranking down the ratchet strap to have it sinched tight enough to tow with, it only takes me a couple minutes to throw mine on. I'd bet that I could do mine just as quick as you'd be able to do yours since I don't have all those snaps to deal with.

I can also loosen the ratchet strap and undo one of the clips on the rear tower leg and have enough room to slide into the boat if I need to. That lets me do stuff like plug or unplug the float chargers from the batteries, or slip some stuff under the cover to pre-load the boat...

I have a snap on cover like yours and have never bothered to use it. I guess maybe I should give it a try sometime. It does take up less bulk when it's off the boat, so maybe that'd be an advantage for something?

parrothd
11-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Sure YOU can put the regular cover on in a few minutes, doubtful any of your crew can. :) With the snap on cover anyone can figure it out pretty quick.

I rarely put my cover on myself someone else usually does it for me. I get a lot of new boaters from Meetup and when they ask "anything I can do?" I hand them the cover and point out the first snaps. I load the truck up and come back and it's on..

trayson
11-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Sure YOU can put the regular cover on in a few minutes, doubtful any of your crew can. :) With the snap on cover anyone can figure it out pretty quick.

I rarely put my cover on myself someone else usually does it for me. I get a lot of new boaters from Meetup and when they ask "anything I can do?" I hand them the cover and point out the first snaps. I load the truck up and come back and it's on..

Haha, nice. I typically yank the cover off at home except for days when the dew/misy/rain is threatening beforehand.

My helpers get handed a boat towel and the sprayer of hot sauce.