PDA

View Full Version : Engine Divider strength

jmvotto
11-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Member on here sent me the link. pretty cool WM has made an easy DIY for the lazy or not so skilled boat owner:cool:

http://www.wakemakers.com/engine-divider-panel-saver.html

mmandley
11-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Member on here sent me the link. pretty cool WM has made an easy DIY for the lazy or not so skilled boat owner:cool:

http://www.wakemakers.com/engine-divider-panel-saver.html

They sent me a pair of these, just haven't got them installed.
They are pretty sweet.

slipperyrockTKE300
11-17-2014, 01:56 PM
In addition to these stiffners, I would most definitely increase the number and size of the hinges.

valleywine
11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Don't know about the new rigs, but I don't like the way they screw the panels into the aluminum framework. Has anybody devised a way to hang the divider onto the framework or secure it in a better way?

gregski
11-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Don't know about the new rigs, but I don't like the way they screw the panels into the aluminum framework. Has anybody devised a way to hang the divider onto the framework or secure it in a better way?

Are you talking about the quarter turn latches that hold the hinge panel in the "up" position? What kind of trouble are you having? Those work well for me.

valleywine
11-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Are you talking about the quarter turn latches that hold the hinge panel in the "up" position? What kind of trouble are you having? Those work well for me.

No my panels are screwed directly into the aluminum framework with lag screws so every time you need access it bores out the hole a little. I don't have any latches. I was thinking maybe a guy could use some cleats or something to keep the panel in place.

bergermaister
11-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Same here but how often do you drop the dividers to access anything? Once in the spring, once in the fall.

Actually in the fall after winterizing mine I just leave them loose. Come de-winterizing time next year that's one less step and keeps the holes from boring out as quickly.

Other than that I'm not opening it up unless I'm doing some unexpected engine service or trying to figure out how to stuff 3 more ballast pumps under there somewhere...

gregski
11-18-2014, 03:37 AM
No my panels are screwed directly into the aluminum framework with lag screws so every time you need access it bores out the hole a little. I don't have any latches. I was thinking maybe a guy could use some cleats or something to keep the panel in place.
So apparently 2007 is the year they changed. They are pretty handy but like bergermaister said it's really only once or twice a season. In any case I bet you could contact a SC dealer (I always hear recommendations for Atlanta Marine around here), figure out the part and order them.

jstenger
11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I think it would be fairly easy to add some hinges or a piece of channel to the bottom of your dividers and a pair of turn latches to the top to get rid of the lag screws.

valleywine
11-18-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking some kind of cleat and a channel at the bottom like jstenger suggests.

slipperyrockTKE300
11-19-2014, 06:36 AM
I have to ask.....why in the world are these panels held in place with lag screws????

valleywine
11-19-2014, 12:06 PM
I have to ask.....why in the world are these panels held in place with lag screws????

Don't know. That's what I was thinking. Bad design!

bergermaister
11-19-2014, 05:13 PM
So you can rail 'em in there with an impact gun! Mine are just beefy stainless screws and only 3-4 per panel.

Haven't stripped one out yet.