PDA

View Full Version : Moomba's and Whiskey- A few of my favorite things

WhiskeyRunner
10-29-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there are some Moomba owners that also like a drab of America's finest distilled spirit; Bourbon. Anyone out there share the same enthusiasm? It's on my mind since I just secured 3 bottles of Pappy 20yr and my first inclination was to have a glass on the Mondo after a great day of surfing (in dock of course), I just wished she wasn't already winterized... life can be cruel some times.

Any other favorite bourbons out there you'd like to share that compliment?

mnpracing
10-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Wow! you give up your first born for those? I stick with the cheap stuff, Blanton's

WhiskeyRunner
10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Excellent choice... Hardly cheap (in comparison to most), but it is definitely a favorite on the dock. I actually got the Pappy's at retail, after a 1.5 year wait... well worth it!

bergermaister
10-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Your screen name makes perfect sense all of a sudden

sandm
10-30-2014, 07:09 AM
my only whiskey experience...

at the tender age of 21 I received a pint of canadian club and 2 glasses in a gift set for a work xmas exchange- this was in 1989. my last move to green bay uncovered the boxed set in a closet in 2013 after many many moves. rather than move it again, I bestowed the treasure to one of my good friends that I boated with for years who has a love for whiskey and in exchange, I received several photos of them enjoying a glass on a dock at my favorite lake after an afternoon of slalom skiing.

I don't partake in any kind of hard liquor so it would have continued to age. I feel that after 24 years, I ended up with the better end of the deal with pics of a good bud enjoying what he loves...

KG's Supra24
10-30-2014, 10:09 AM
I come to learn.

Drink whiskey but don't know much about it. Usually default to something like Gentleman Jack or Woodford Reserve ... whatever catches my eye on the higher shelf I suppose.

What should I be trying and where do I buy? What are the different styles/tastes of good whiskey?

parrothd
10-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Try bullet, very smooth, I like it better than woodford and in the same price range..

KG's Supra24
10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Try bullet, very smooth, I like it better than woodford and in the same price range..

I actually threw an empty bottle of that away 2 nights ago. I probably agree on the Woodford comparison.

rdlangston13
10-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Turkey drinker here, Gobble Gobble.

I recently started to collect Texas made liquors including whiskeys. Rebeccas Creek, Whitmeyers, .36, 1835 ect

parrothd
10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm restrict myself to only Coors light now, everything else gives me a wicked hangover. ;)

sandm
10-30-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm restrict myself to only Coors light now, everything else gives me a wicked hangover. ;)

no truer words spoken.

WhiskeyRunner
10-30-2014, 02:37 PM
KG-

you asked, so I'll take the bait and risk pontificating :)

I could go on for hours, I have a bit of a passion. But like anything, it's all about preference and taste, there truly is no wrong answer if you like it. My favorite part about Bourbon is the history.... it's as American as apple pie, and has it's origins in the immigrants that came (mostly) from Ireland or Scotland. They had extra corn from the farms and knowledge of distilling, so it wasn't a far stretch to start making 'shine. It's also deeply rooted into our culture (Kentucky roots and appalachian 'shine), our politics (prohibition), and sports (horse racing and NASCAR). I could literally go on for hours, the history is amazing.

There's a slight difference between Whiskey and Bourbon worth mentioning- Whiskey is a general term (applies to Canadian, Irish, Scotch, American, Japanese, etc...) and Bourbon is one type of Whiskey that meets 9 specific "laws". That being said, enjoy what you like, there are no rules... only snobs you can ignore.

Here's what I recommend, get 5-6 types, pour a very small amount into a glass (a sip worth), hold it in your mouth for a few seconds and note what you taste. Go through the 5-6 options, and then back down again (probably totaling a single shot by the time your done). It's important to go back down because you'll notice things totally different as you build a palate. Each Bourbon (or Whiskey) will have unique characteristics and taste different when you have something to compare it to... I did this recently with Woodford and found myself all of a sudden liking it the least, to my surprise. Here's a decent starter kit of easy to get Bourbon's and myriad of flavors at low cost:

Maker's Mark- Wheat based Bourbon (more sweet, less spice)
Four Roses Small Batch- Rye based Bourbon (sweet and spicy)
Templeton Rye- not a bourbon, but a Rye Whiskey with more spice and a great way to identify flavor
Woodford Reserve- Bourbon owned by the Jack Daniels company, standard but more oaky
Buffalo Trace- good standard bourbon

Any of these would be great with an ice cube or two next to your Moomba. OK, that's the end of my soap box. Thanks for asking my opinion :). If you want more recommendations or more exotic choices, feel free to PM me, and I'm happy to share more experiences.

Jason05216
10-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Templeton Rye had a place set up like a speakeasy at the American Royal BBQ in Kansas City a few weeks ago. It was a really cool setup, food and music. You had to know someone to get in and they had this huge guy at the door mostly turning people away it seemed. Best way to drink it was on the rocks. Man that hit the spot on a cool evening.

brain_rinse
10-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Templeton is just a few miles from me so TR is standard issue in the cabinet. And I may or may not have some bootleg, in a bahama mama bottle with the cap duct taped shut.

bergermaister
10-31-2014, 12:14 AM
I've acquired a taste for some of the honey whiskey recently. Too sweet by itself but a half and half with Crown seems to work well. Maybe a little too well...

Crown Royal has been the old go to forever, but I'm thinking its time to branch out.

kaneboats
11-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Does Fireball count? :o

moombadaze
11-04-2014, 04:52 PM
ive got a bottle of fireball ageing right now, well it will age till next summer then I hope to share with some good friends

viking
11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Fireball was just banned in Europe due to propylene glycol ingredient used in the US Version of the drink. Articles on the issue proposed it as "anti-freeze" used in Fireball.
Standards over there are different than over here from what I read and therefore caused the recall.
It does warm a guy up though :)

wolfeman131
11-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a good way to "winterize"

kaneboats
11-05-2014, 11:55 AM
LOL. Drink the fireball and then pees in the block.

jzelt
11-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Houseboating a number of years ago, I came across a wonderful invention. Drunkenly, I started to pour one, realized my mistake, then added the correct other kind.

I'll gladly share it in this thread.
Fill up a mug with ice.
Pour count of 5-6 one thousand one's of Jim Beam.
We then like to pour 1 less count of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum.
Add a can of coke.

We call it Party in a glass!!!

Never got sick on it (after drinking a ton of them).
Never had a hangover.

bergermaister
11-18-2014, 02:33 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/i-always-keep-a-bottle-of-fireball-in-the-freezer.jpg