PDA

View Full Version : Checking Transmission Fluid

Engine Nut
10-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Here is the correct procedure for checking transmission fluid in the shifting portion of your v-drive or in an in-line transmission. It applies to Indmar V-drive, Velvet-Drive and ZF transmissions. It is best done with the boat in the water

Start the engine and let it come up to operating temperature.

Shift the engine to forward then to neutral then to reverse and back to neutral. Shut the engine off.

Within 30 seconds of engine shutdown, remove the dipstick from the transmission, wipe it clean and place the dipstick in the transmission but don't thread it in. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. The level should be between the two marks on the dipstick.

Adjust the fluid level as needed.

Note: Once you have established the appropriate fluid level, it may be beneficial to let the transmission cool down, preferably overnight so all of the fluid can drain back from the cooler and transmission hoses. Pull the dipstick and wipe it off. Reinstall the dipstick but don't thread it in. Remove the dipstick and mark a new "full cold" level on the dipstick so in the future you can check the fluid level without running the engine. Note that the full cold level may be above the original full mark on the dipstick, depending on the transmission cooler location and how much fluid is able to drain back.

moombahighrider
10-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks Engine Nut! Helpful as always.

gregski
10-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Just for clarification, I assume that you're procedure applies to having the boat in the water, correct? Your transmission needs to be at operating temperature for checking the final level. If you were using a fake-a-lake, just running the engine to operating temperature wouldn't make much of a difference to the tranny.

Engine Nut
10-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Just for clarification, I assume that you're procedure applies to having the boat in the water, correct? Your transmission needs to be at operating temperature for checking the final level. If you were using a fake-a-lake, just running the engine to operating temperature wouldn't make much of a difference to the tranny.

The procedure does say it is best done with the boat in the water although even when not in the water, the transmission spins and pumps oil whenever the engine is running.

Someone made the suggestion to establish the full cold level when the boat is sitting where you normally park it when it is not being used. That is a very good idea as long as the initial check and level was established with the boat in the water.

kaneboats
10-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I like that last idea. The dipsticks are designed to show correct levels while the boat is floating. It sits a little different when on the trailer hitched or when on the trailer unhitched. Another thing you can do is use a level to figure out how your boat sits when floating, then match it by cranking the trailer jack till it sits at the same attitude (if you are going to run on fake a lake). I think making a cold mark on the dipstick is far easier though. Thanks for the tip.