PDA

View Full Version : Handheld VHF Radio

smak
05-06-2006, 05:56 PM
hi all

looking for handheld VHF radio......any suggestions or place to compare models on the www.....we are in Canada so I'll find it up here but just not sure which one......thanks smak

Wolf-
05-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by smak
looking for handheld VHF radio......any suggestions or place to compare models on the www.....we are in Canada so I'll find it up here but just not sure which one......thanks smak

I owned my new boat less than a week and when I was picking up my "new boat" gear the first thing I threw in the cart was a VHF radio. Now, the recreational boaters I hang with all laughed. "Why would you need that?" When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time on the gulf of mexico with my grandfather, that and on the intercoastals. I don't know what its like to be on a boat WITHOUT a radio, and don't want to know.

I got the Cobra MR HH300. Was $99usd on sale. Has a charging base, 110v wire and a 12v wire. Waterproof, not water resistant (this is a biggy!) Autoscans, lock outs, backlight, weather channels. It was up against a Uniden, and I don't remember why I went with the Cobra. It is US, CA and INT.

Remember that VHF is "line of site" so power means something.