PDA

View Full Version : Changing Impeller for 2005 Outback

Lori Moomba
10-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Hello. This is my first season with my Moomba, what a great boat! I'm trying to change the impeller myself, and have seen a few videos but none for the direct drive. Does anyone have any pictures of the direct drive engine for the Moomba Outback? And any helpful suggestions as well? Thanks

slipperyrockTKE300
10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
This is an old posting From Brian Raymond of Skiers Choice:

I have found this to be the best way for me to remove impellers from direct drives and V drives. First-tools neded; (2) paint can openers, 5/16" wrench or socket set-up, Fantastik spray cleaner. First, disengage spark and fuel (unplug coil wire from dist. and pos. fuel pump wire on carb. models, unplug fuel pump and ign. control module wires on fuel inj. models). Remove faceplate from raw water pump (4-5/16" hex screws), spray Fantastik cleaner into the housing and "bump the motor over a few times. Insert the paint can openers @ the 1 and 7 o'clock position and pry it out. Once out, inspect the blades to be sure that they are all there. If some are missing, be sure to remove hoses before and after the pump to retrieve the missing blades to ensure no future overheating issues. The impeller is on a splined shaft, so when reinstalling, insert and turn in a clockwise motion until seated. when seated, push the rest of the way in with the palm of your hand until flush with the face, install new gasket (fat side of gasket to odd cyl. side of motor), insert screws and hand tighten. To finish the job, use your 5/16" tool and tighten every other screw until tight. Hope this helps. It is much easier than it sounds. DD models should take 5 min., V deives- maybe 10. Brian Raymond

Lori Moomba
10-18-2014, 10:34 PM
That sounds really helpful, thanks a lot!

fu-man
10-19-2014, 01:18 PM
2099320993http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/replacing-impeller.asp

This might be helpful. Impeller cover is in the extreme lower left corner of picture.