PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak

jyj1189
10-11-2014, 04:14 AM
I posted a few weeks ago about a fuel smell. After getting a better look into the bilge, it 's clear I have a fuel leak somewhere. I brought it to my local marina, who isn't a Moomba dealer, and haven't heard anything. I checked in after a week and they haven't found anything yet. They did say when they moved it, the bilge pump kicked out 3-4 gallons of fuel. The service manager told me they are unfamiliar with Moombas and mine is the only one they've seen. I contacted the closest Moomba dealer and they said it's not a common problem. Has anyone else had a fuel leak and if so, where was it? It doesn't seem to be leaking a lot and only when the battery is hooked up.

JHutch
10-11-2014, 04:50 PM
The main fuel fill hose that runs into the tank came loose on my boat. Check the hose clamps on it and make sure its not loose.

jzelt
10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
I would pull the floor and look for cracks in the tank, lines, connections. The bilge pump would pump it out since that is the lowest point and when moving, it would all collect there.

3-4 gallons I would syphon out whatever is in the bilge with a non electric syphon/pump, then if you still can't find the crack, slowly use a 5-gal gas can to fill the tank while diligently looking for drips.

Possible the fuel pump doesn't shut off and just keeps pumping since you said it happens when it was hooked up to battery?

jyj1189
10-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I talked with the mechanic today and the tank is loose in the belly. It's supposed to be bolted or strapped in. They tried to pull the floor and he said it made a "fiberglass cracking sound." He believes the floor was somehow glued or epoxied to the rest of the hull. He did say the fuel system passed the pressure test, but that they only tested the engine. He has to pull the tank to check that.

valleywine
10-14-2014, 09:33 PM
The floor is not glued. It's screwed down around the perimeter of the floor + 2 screws on the inside of each seat base towards the rear. You should be able to see the perimeter screws. Also, take the seat off of the molded base. The floor will come up easily if you pull up a little, then out towards you if you are standing at the rear, then up and out. Be careful you clear the floor with the right side of the walk through fiberglass. I just had my floor out and it took about 10 minutes to remove, tops. Once the floor is out, you can see the fuel tank.

parrothd
10-14-2014, 10:21 PM
What kind of marina can't figure out how to pull a floor?

jzelt
10-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Hopefully the fiberglass sound wasn't due to not removing some screws.

They do fit tight, so not a total failure, but still...
Good luck with finding the issue...

harmsway
10-15-2014, 03:05 PM
I have an '08 Mobius LS and we had an issue with the steel "U" shaped fuel line leaking that is connected to the external fuel pump. It was cracked under the line nut. The flare on the steel line was split. I am assuming that the V drive use the same style external fuel pump as the LS that year. It was a common problem with that style fuel delivery system. Local dealer had one in stock and they don't anything usually. LOL.