PDA

View Full Version : Rodent repellant for winter storage

ninedriver
10-08-2014, 10:13 PM
There's another thread about some possible cat claw damage to a swim platform pad and folks were chiming in about mice as well. I figured I'd start this thread about rodent repellant for the winter storage months.
I've heard of moth balls, spearmint oil on cotton balls, and dryer sheets. I've recently been told about "Fresh Cab" by some folks in the camping community who swear by it. I haven't used it myself but plan on giving it a try this year. I've never had issues with mice and I'd like to keep it that way. Anyone else?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/fresh-cabreg%3B-1-botanical-rodent-repellant-10-oz?cm_vc=-10005

sivs1
10-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Review for this are great. I have not seen signs of mice in or around my storage unit but I know they are there. I have a box of decon bait in each corner but based on the reviews of Fresh Cab I'll try it.

jmvotto
10-09-2014, 10:06 AM
I will try it but my storage and lake house are closed for more than 100 days..
so decon will also be used. as well as damp rid.

:)

kaneboats
10-09-2014, 10:17 AM
The bass boat guys swear by peppermint oil. Also makes the boat smell nice and fresh in the spring.

csm
10-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Careful with the bait... I've heard horror stories about rats/mice eating bait, then getting underneath the floor in a boat and dying.... My storage doesn't allow bait for that reason anymore.

ninedriver
10-09-2014, 11:48 AM
x2...^
The only bait I use for mice is peanut butter on a mouse trap. That way you can dispose of the rotting corpse rather than smelling and searching for it by using poison bait.

JGP54321
10-09-2014, 12:36 PM
The bass boat guys swear by peppermint oil. Also makes the boat smell nice and fresh in the spring.

This is interesting as I actually have some peppermint oil at the house. Do they dilute and spray, or just put some drops on the carpets or in the storage areas?

kaneboats
10-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I think they soak it into cotton balls that they then place in key locations. I think it wears off so you have to replace it every couple weeks to month or so.

jmvotto
10-09-2014, 02:10 PM
good point on boat and bait, I was thinking lake house for bait.