PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing questions?

Kidder522
10-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Hey Everyone,

I sold my Outback and picked up an 07 LSV a couple of weeks ago. I was in the process of getting it ready to put it away for the winter in my heated storage place i rent, when I was surprisingly told that they are no longer using it as storage. So. my after heart started beating again, I need to really do a fine job of winterizing my boat. I printed out what Al and posted in these section, and followed it to the letter, but since I have not had to worry about freezing, I am now. I guess I am just looking for some assurances, that if I follow what Al had posted, I won't be spending a bunch of money in the spring for some repairs.

I know the block is empty, the manifolds are drained, muffler is drained, and clamps taken off and disconnected the J hose, both hoses to the impeller, impeller out, water hose to Vdrive, etc. All hoses taken off the ballast, bags out and cleaned, screen and housing emptied,

My one question is draining the V-drive. How much water should come out of the back, if any, should I put some RV antifreeze in there, and then drain it, or should I put some air in to blow it out? Since the Vdrive is new to me, I am unsure how to drain it properly. :confused:

Any advice to help me sleep better is greatly appreciated.

Richard

parrothd
10-08-2014, 01:32 AM
I get a small dribble if anything comes out.. Do you have heater installed? Or shower? Sounds like you have it covered, next time use anti-freeze, it'll help you sleep at night.. :)

moombahighrider
10-08-2014, 02:28 AM
You've got it dialed. I live in the mountains of Colorado and just do exactly what you posted, as Al's instructions state.

For the v-drive, I just pull the 2 plugs and don't have any issues. You are leaving them open and allowing expansion, for what little water is left in there. I am not sure, but I do not believe that the v-drive holds much water.

brain_rinse
10-08-2014, 04:17 AM
Al's instructions cover more than what most dealers do. I like to use antifreeze to help me sleep. :)

Kidder522
10-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks Everyone.

When you use the antifreeze, do you drain, then fill it all up and leave it, or drain it again? Or do you mean is should have a glass of antifreeze myself to help me sleep better!!!!:p

I am ok with doing both, just want to get it right. No heater or shower in this boat.

DOCDRS
10-08-2014, 11:20 AM
I have never removed the vdrive plugs. removing the outlet and strainer hose and will allow the majority of the water drain. then you can use a shop vac to finish the job. After everything has been drained I stick a pipe from the outlet hose into plumbing antifreeze and suck up 4 gallons of antifreeze after i have clamped the dripless line.

Sampp1963
10-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Can anyone direct me to Al's instructions? I did some research and couldn't find it....
Thanks

parrothd
10-09-2014, 10:41 AM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?9877-Winterization-Procedure-with-pics-by-Al boom!

Sampp1963
10-09-2014, 06:38 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?9877-Winterization-Procedure-with-pics-by-Al boom!

Thanks!!!! I did a research with "Al" and couldn't find this post...
I saw that post ... I even translate it in french for my on file