PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal

Klos
10-05-2014, 03:35 PM
I have a 08 outback v. Is it normal for water to come out where the shaft exits the boat when the boat is hooked to a fake a lake.

MLA
10-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Yes, as some inboards have a water cooled shaft seal.

gregski
10-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Yes, as some inboards have a water cooled shaft seal.
All inboards have a water cooled shaft seal. (Well, I believe all)
The old, standard method uses a simple shaft packing that you tighten to the point where a slow drip of water goes through the seal and into the bilge. Basically, water leaks into the boat. Thus it is important that you never over-tighten the packing nut to the point of stopping the leak.
The "drip-less" seal that SC started using around 2006 or so, reverses the process. They run a little hose of water from the cooling system and pressurize a collar around the shaft which forces cooling water through the shaft seal and back out to the lake. So it is drip-less inside the boat, but certainly drips when run on a fake-a-lake.

Klos
10-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

MLA
10-06-2014, 09:13 AM
All inboards have a water cooled shaft seal. (Well, I believe all)
The old, standard method uses a simple shaft packing that you tighten to the point where a slow drip of water goes through the seal and into the bilge. Basically, water leaks into the boat. Thus it is important that you never over-tighten the packing nut to the point of stopping the leak.
The "drip-less" seal that SC started using around 2006 or so, reverses the process. They run a little hose of water from the cooling system and pressurize a collar around the shaft which forces cooling water through the shaft seal and back out to the lake. So it is drip-less inside the boat, but certainly drips when run on a fake-a-lake.

ok, let me clarify. Theres the old drop style that was cooled via lake water, which would drip inside the boat, but when on a fake a lake, there'd be no water to drip. if the OP had an old drip style, there wound be no thread, cause he wouldnt see it dripping. What im sure he has, is a new drip-less, which is fed via raw water supply thats T'd off after the impeller pump. This would certainly be seen dripping while on a fake a lake while on the trailer.