PDA

View Full Version : Lake Norman guys...read this letter ASAP

tarheelskier
09-30-2014, 02:30 PM
I know we have some Charlotte area folks on this forum, if you have an interest in Lake Norman, you need to read this letter. I saw this on twitter from my dealer.

Rakkasan
09-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Wow!! I hope all the fisherman aren't catching all the fish to or they may have to close the whole lake.

jmvotto
09-30-2014, 02:55 PM
last time I looked 25 ft. cabin cruisers throw a pretty big wake as well.

Cigars n scotch
09-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I hope this comes NO WHERE near Wylie and for all the folks who ride on Norman I hope you all show up in force to fight this nonsense. Good info to know though.

MLA
09-30-2014, 03:38 PM
I hope this comes NO WHERE near Wylie and for all the folks who ride on Norman I hope you all show up in force to fight this nonsense. Good info to know though.

Its already in motion for a stretch of the river north of the I85 bridge, where the whitwater center is.

wolfeman131
09-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Those that may be impacted NEED to get to this meeting and voice your concerns and right to the water. Legislation such as this HAS PASSED for some waterways and legislation such as this also HAS BEEN DEFEATED. It takes a much stronger voice to defeat this action. Get with your local boat dealers, clubs, facebook and forums to get organized.

freshturk
09-30-2014, 08:46 PM
This has been floating around all the locals twitters, instagrams, etc. Sounds like we already have a big force planning to head to the meeting, but dont ever count on someone else to represent you. Anyone relatively local needs to come out and voice our parts.

REDFIVE48
10-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Just South of you on Mt Isle Lake, the Marine Commission tried to pass a Lake Management Plan that would:
ban certain boats (boats greater than 25ft, those speed type boats with the exposed engines and headers, etc)
enact a boat use permit system (new tax for the lake to pay for a police department)
and a few other things

We showed up in mass at the meetings, got people put on the commission when commissioner terms were expiring, contacted the county commissioners (they fund these lake commissions) and raised all kinds of stink.

In the end - lake management plan died and earlier this year, Gaston Co pulled out of the marine commission and it was then dissolved.

Fight on or those who only want to paddleboard will try to ban everything/make the whole lake a no wake zone.

Boatdrinks797
10-01-2014, 12:49 AM
This is a complex issue. Yes, we all have the right to water access, but we do not have the right to destroy property as a result of our activities. This all comes down to being a responsible boater and knowing the area that you are running in. Clearly, the gang on Lake Norman has worn out their welcome to the property owners citing damage.

We had high water all summer and were under 'wake advisory' conditions. Lets call a spade a spade, there is no reason surfers need to run anywhere close to shore....ever...! We rarely surf, but if we do it's in the middle of the lake for this exact reason. We all want to protect our water rights so please don't ruin it for others if your are 'that guy' that property owners despise.

sandm
10-01-2014, 07:06 AM
wonder, since it is stating "near the coves" if it's more a play to drive those boats with loud stereos off the water and this is an easier way to ensure their demands are enforced? limiting volume means subjective enforcement. banning wakes will do more to drive "those" boats to other bodies of water as it's not worth the hassle if the no wake zone impedes in the fun.

either way good luck. sure this is another case of the 5% ruining it for the 95%.

cornrickey
10-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Regardless of it is right or wrong, we need to not give people ammunition by boarding just outside the bouy line when we can surf in the middle. This is coming from a lake front owner and surfer.

LknLee
10-01-2014, 10:09 PM
From what I can tell it's just for a couple of coves. No way should anyone be surfing/wakeboarding down a tight corridor. My cove has a no wake buoy and happy it's there. Hopefully everything will work all for all parties.

garl.wilson
10-01-2014, 10:29 PM
I know we have some Charlotte area folks on this forum, if you have an interest in Lake Norman, you need to read this letter. I saw this on twitter from my dealer.

That would really suck!! Lake Norman is the place where everyone likes to go or travel too from time to time to get in some good fun.