PDA

View Full Version : Snap on cover

Blueliner
09-30-2014, 07:07 AM
Is it OK to tow on the highway with the snap on cover?, I stay under 60. I do not have a storage/transportation cover...what is one of those worth?

Blueliner

wolfeman131
09-30-2014, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't tow with any cover other than an Evolution brand cover.

moombadaze
09-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Kaneboats has a snap on cover for his 08 LSV, ive followed him on the highway at close to 70mph and the cover looked fine-you will want all the snaps snapped and the cover poles in place so the cover cant flap around.

yearround
09-30-2014, 07:59 AM
I have a snap on cover that we have towed with forever. Long drive trips of 500mi to big vacation etc. not a problem yet. Highway speed over 75, Wyoming winds of equal speed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivs1
09-30-2014, 08:56 AM
I have always towed with a snap cover on, no issues even at 80mph. Just insure all snaps are snapped and I have straps on the back to help tighten it all down too.

Worlds22SSV
09-30-2014, 09:26 AM
I would not tow with a snap on cover, if one of the snaps pop off it will flap and beat the snot out of the gelcoat.

New Guy
09-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I have a snap on cover and we tow with it all the time. I haven't noticed any ill effects other than my interior staying cleaner.

kaneboats
09-30-2014, 09:47 AM
I was in the camp of never towing with it but then heard of tons of guys on here who do it all the time. I'm a convert. I did have one snap on the bow cover that would pop and I had to "tighten" it up. No issues since.

Oh yeah, try not to get wax on your snaps.

parrothd
09-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I would but I'm missing some snaps on the windshield, anyone know where to get replacements?

Blueliner
09-30-2014, 10:38 AM
I have a snap on cover and we tow with it all the time. I haven't noticed any ill effects other than my interior staying cleaner.

Funny, a half hour drive back from the lake on a warm evening at highway speeds (with the cover off) tends to dry things up. Only issue is dead bugs on forward facing surfaces of the boat. Even with the cover on the dead bugs will still be all over the tower and mirror/arm, board holders.

Blueliner

Sampp1963
09-30-2014, 09:08 PM
I only use the bow cover with no post....dealer is telling me that the back cover will put to much pressure on the boat windshield

parrothd
09-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Lol.. That's funny, guess it doesn't rain there, my cover will pool with lots of water that weighs a ton..

trebor-75
09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
We tow at least one long trip each summer (500 mile round trip) with the snap-on cover, with about 200 miles on the freeway. I wouldn't want to make the trip without it, it keeps the inside clean and the seat cushions in the boat. Plus then we can use the boat to carry some extra stuff that doesn't fit in the truck!

The only problems we've had over the years is snaps coming out the cover, but they are easily replaced. We've also had a couple of the snaps pop out of the fiberglass, but they were glued back in and there's been no problems since.

In my eyes the benefits far outweigh the risks. I'd love an evolution cover, but as long as this one keeps doing it job it doesn't seem reasonable

viking
10-01-2014, 12:38 AM
I tow with bow and cockpit snap cover on everywhere. Just like Trebor i've had snaps eventually work out of the gel or out of the cover itself but the shop that made my cover hands me a handfull of them to replace and not a big deal. I wouldn't tow very far without it. Too much worry about a cushion flying out or some of the gear we haul in the boat on longer trips. Not to mention the rain/leaves/rocks it keeps out. On shorter jaunts I'll sometimes just use the bow cover but most of the time I use both.

kaneboats
10-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I only use the bow cover with no post....dealer is telling me that the back cover will put to much pressure on the boat windshield

Really? I'd love an explanation of the physics of that one. The 65 MPH wind puts pressure on the windshield. The cover sits flush against the windshield. Where is the extra pressure coming from? Love it when people just make stuff up.

viking
10-01-2014, 09:45 AM
^^ like. ^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bergermaister
10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Really? I'd love an explanation of the physics of that one. The 65 MPH wind puts pressure on the windshield. The cover sits flush against the windshield. Where is the extra pressure coming from? Love it when people just make stuff up.

Isn't that usually followed with a price quote on a "Towing Safe" cover they happen to have available?

996scott
10-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I've towed with snap on covers for 20+ years without any problems. It is the best way to tow in my opinion. I want to get one for my new boat but haven't yet.