PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite bindings with Obrien board

Smrtz
05-05-2006, 02:21 PM
In the fall I bought the byerly hyperlite bindings (got the 05's for 89.00 killer deal) only problem is that the screws that attach them to the board are too long.

Any suggestions about how to make this work for me could cut down the exsisting screws or add washers ..I dunno anyone else had this problem?

Jay

EUSTACE
05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Flag on the play!!!!!! Ed stole my signature…… Wait a sec, your Date is days before mine.. ok you can have it.

E

Ps- you can find the right sized SS screws at your local hardware store.

Smrtz
05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I should check tht I just figured it would be some special screw that you can only get from the manufacturer.. I know I have some of the T screws from my old bindings around so Im gonna see if that will work too!!

Ill keep you posted

As always thanks for the input

PS just got of the phone there was a message from the marina.. my boat is ready to go, picking her up after work ... then direct to the river for the first sessions of the year!!

gotmyboat
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Happy to hear your boat is out of jail. Have a great first session.

Dave

NH Moomba
05-05-2006, 06:44 PM
You can buy all types and shapes of thumb screws, wing nuts and such at www.mcmaster.com
They are the worlds greatest hardware and industrial supply store.

I think the screws on my Hyperlite Premier are plain old 1/4-20 thread. If you do want to cut the screw off, thread a nut onto it first, then clean up the burrs with a file or grinder and then remove the nut which will clean up the distorted threads. If you do use a grinder or file, hold the bolt at an angle to the wheel and grind it in such a way that the grinder pulls the threads away. It is hard to describe - but basically not sideways.

Andy

Wolf-
05-06-2006, 05:25 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Ed G
You can get the wing nuts with a shorter thread length (3/8 to 1/2).

The hardware I currently use (while waiting for O'Brien to send me the correct stuff) is too long.

I just use stainless 3/8" hex nuts as spacers.

Don't cut the bolts unless you have a tap and die set to clean up the threads. You could end up screwing up the internal thread in your board.

e

I used washers to resolve the problem here. I hated it. Bought good bindings and ended up rigging it. I'll second Eds advice not to cut those bolts.

If you insist, Do follow the previous advice on using a nut to clean it all up. Poor mans die

Smrtz
05-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Ok after a bit of thought and the advice of you all I decided to use a couple washers. It worked awesome.
Got out for the first time yesterday air temps were about 61, water temps had to be around 51-55. With a wetsuit it was no problem.

Feeling a little sore today but good to feel the burn after a long off season!!

Thanks again for the input
You guys kick @ss