PDA

View Full Version : Towing Tubes or Slalom with a V-drive

trayson
09-29-2014, 03:03 PM
So, this may seem like a total NEWB question, but I'd like to know what people are doing as far as pulling a skier or a tube from a vdrive. I have no intention of ever towing a tube from my tower, because I am not going to put the tower at risk of the jerk that can happen from a tube... (And I'm not talking about the driver being the 'jerk', Haha!)

with my direct drive, I'd slalom ski from the stern eye because my center pylon had been removed.

The rear of the XLV looks like it has an eye that you could attach a tow rope to, but is that what it's designed for?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oA-iEWVQHoA/VA3TweifdZI/AAAAAAAAULU/LuieCq2GTIg/s800/VP3333681_14_large_resized_zps84e910d6.jpg

I would think that for skiing, the pylon at the front of the v-drive locker would make the most sense. What about for a tube? I don't want a rope dragging across my nice vinyl and messing up my sundeck... But I also don't wanna tow from something that's really not as structurally stout as needed.

slipperyrockTKE300
09-29-2014, 03:16 PM
I use the pylon in the sundeck for a skier and the hook in the grab rail for a tuber

bergermaister
09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
I say tubes from pylon always - at least the bigger multi-rider tubes, esp if you are getting rowdy. The angle when running should keep the rope plenty far away from the vinyl. Same with skiing once you're up.
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1090820-1.jpg

I've never had rubbing issues with my stub... ;)
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/IMG_5869.jpg

Unless GoProing from the tube - then mount down low. We did this with a buddy's Malibu this summer, 4 person tube with 1-2 riders. But just riding in a straight line. Any hard yanks from slack I think could have really messed that hook up.
http://wakeboardpittsburgh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2.jpg

Boonejeepin
09-29-2014, 03:49 PM
The pylon has to be close to the strongest part of the boat. I tow tubes from the pylon. As Berg mentioned the rope stays off the vinyl as soon as throttle is applied.

mikenehrkorn
09-29-2014, 04:02 PM
I do both (ski/tube) from the pylon as well.......my OBV also has the hook on the grab rail, but it doesn't really look strong enough and I would hate to bend it. Never had any issue with the rope dragging on the back deck either.

sandm
09-29-2014, 04:14 PM
trayson, now's your chance to explain that the v-drive design is not structurally sound to be towing tubes from any portion of the boat and the damage could be irreversible......

:)

trayson
09-29-2014, 05:41 PM
trayson, now's your chance to explain that the v-drive design is not structurally sound to be towing tubes from any portion of the boat and the damage could be irreversible......

:)

Yeah, with all the limited storage in the 23' XLV, I wasn't able to fit a tube in this weekend... Darn it.

gregski
09-29-2014, 06:57 PM
I agree with the above about the pylon being the strongest tow point. However, I often pull tubes and skis from the tower: Our tube can nose dive just a bit at start/stop and towing from the tower makes it really easy for little ones or those that get a gentle ride. The only time I've pulled someone on 2 skis, they are the type that only goes once every <blank> years and is really worried about getting up. The higher tow point helps them get up and they aren't the types who are going to cut across the wake and put any sort of load on the tower. Ditto for teaching someone to get up on one ski.

trayson
09-29-2014, 07:18 PM
I agree with the above about the pylon being the strongest tow point. However, I often pull tubes and skis from the tower: Our tube can nose dive just a bit at start/stop and towing from the tower makes it really easy for little ones or those that get a gentle ride. The only time I've pulled someone on 2 skis, they are the type that only goes once every <blank> years and is really worried about getting up. The higher tow point helps them get up and they aren't the types who are going to cut across the wake and put any sort of load on the tower. Ditto for teaching someone to get up on one ski.

That all makes sense. I put a LOT more force on the rope when I wakeboard than any intermediate skier would.

And yeah, I agree that pulling from the tower helps for newbies. I'd never personally slalom from the tower though.

Thanks for all the insight all.

I guess if Berg doesn't get ropeburn with his little 'nub', then I won't have any issues with my pole. :-D

sandm
09-30-2014, 07:26 AM
greg, there are lots of articles and stories about why you should NEVER pull a tube from the tower. tubes, when sunk do not let go of the rope like a boarder/skier and if that tube goes down with enough force, it can do damage to both boat and tower.

each boat owners decision, however there is a reason why they still include ski pylons and tow eyes on the rear of the boat even with a tower and someone may have pulled a tube for years from the tower but it only takes once for the damage to be done.
my .02....

tray, I have heard that upgrading to the xlv, although offering copious amounts of storage, still won't hold a tube in any of the compartments.... bummer.....

rdlangston13
09-30-2014, 08:36 AM
+1 from hooking tubes to the ski pylon. never even comes close to the vinyl unless you are stopped.

mcdye
09-30-2014, 08:41 AM
we only use the tower for WB, WS, KB and Surfing.... everything else hooked to the ski pylon.

Blueliner
09-30-2014, 09:01 AM
We pull an airhead donut ..1 person looking thing from the ski-pylon, using a specific "tube rope", I am pretty sure the rope stays off of the sundeck. We don't water ski. The wakeboarding /wakesurfing is from the tower connection. I thought the eyelet on the back of the boat was for towing something like another boat, looks pretty wimpy so not sure about that either.

WhiskeyRunner
09-30-2014, 10:01 AM
my 2 cents... I always tube from the ski pylon. I've been told stories of towers getting bent/damaged when tubing and that was enough for me to be convinced. Maybe those were the older style towers.... but not worth the risk to me. Plus I don't like the idea of the tube getting pulled upward for safety reasons.

beat taco
09-30-2014, 11:16 AM
I guarantee I would have damaged my tower this summer if I had my tube attached to it. I was making massive swells and when I knocked off the riders my focus went to them on a busy 4th of July weekend. The tube already water logged from the roll hit the swells, submerged and dead stopped my boat from the pylon. It was enough force I checked the pylon for damage! Only time I've ever done that but I could have severely injured my boat passengers had I been towing from the tower and sheared a couple of bolts.
And no the rope doesn't hit my precious vinyl.