PDA

View Full Version : Hole in my tower?

csm
09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I just noticed this hole in my tower towards the bottom of my Oz. It doesn't appear to be cracking the weld, but it's pretty close to the weld. What should I do about it? If I knew it had no structural impact, I would just leave it be, but I'd hate for it to cause issues. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/30/e6eny2y6.jpg

slipperyrockTKE300
09-29-2014, 02:56 PM
stick a plastic cap in it.

MLA
09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Drain/expansion hole for freezing water? Roswell had an issue a few years back with splitting tower bases due to trapped water freezing.

Rakkasan
09-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Is it not for running audio wires for tower speakers?

csm
09-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Drain/expansion hole for freezing water? Roswell had an issue a few years back with splitting tower bases due to trapped water freezing.

I'm in Houston, so that's very doubtful. Think it's a problem that needs to be fixed, or is it just a cosmetic issue?

cornrickey
09-29-2014, 03:59 PM
It maybe in place to release pressure from heating it up g or powder coating

MLA
09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm in Houston, so that's very doubtful. Think it's a problem that needs to be fixed, or is it just a cosmetic issue?

Whats doubtful because of where you live? Believe it or not, towers collect water and it can freeze. Just ask all Nautique owners with busted tower legs.

csm
09-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Whats doubtful because of where you live? Believe it or not, towers collect water and it can freeze. Just ask all Nautique owners with busted tower legs.

Doubtful that it's busted from freezing. I can't remember the last time it froze here. Unless you're saying it's purposefully there to prevent that, but I have to believe I would have noticed it before last week.

MLA
09-29-2014, 04:55 PM

Doubtful that it's busted from freezing. I can't remember the last time it froze here. Unless you're saying it's purposefully there to prevent that, but I have to believe I would have noticed it before last week.

Reread my post. I'm not saying your tower is busted and thats what the hole is, im stating that the tower manufacturer drilled the hole on purpose and its to allow water to freeze and expand so the leg DOES NOT bust. Roswell had this problem pop up one of there OEM CC towers. Made a production change and issued a bulletin to dealers to drill a relief hole. Dont know what your hole is, just tossing out an idea.

sandm
09-29-2014, 04:59 PM
I can't imagine that skiers would drill or not drill based on the boats ultimate destination. might not freeze in your neck of the woods but you sell the boat to me where it's cold half the year, tower splits and now it's all over the interwebz about their product. drill all or drill none I would think.

my guess would be something related to running wires? are you the original owner? if not could be any reason.
perhaps hole was drilled during tower or boat build and used something to cover it up. that cover fell down inside our out of boat revealing the hole?