PDA

View Full Version : Fuel smell while underway

jyj1189
09-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Need some ideas...
I sadly took her out for the last ride of the season today and put some sea foam in the take to start prepping for winter. Last time I used it on Labor Day there was just under half a tank left and the same when we started today. I noticed a strong fuel and exhaust smell on start up which isn't unusual after sitting for a while. The smell persisted while putting around and was gone once I got on it. When I'd slow, the smell would come back. I guess I figured it was the smell of the sea foam cleaning things out.
After putting around for about an hour, the gauge was almost on empty! I went to the pumps and put in enough fuel to get us to the ramp and out of the water. Then when I pulled up and parked to prep for the ride home, the guy next to me asked if the smell was him or me.
I looked under the boat and what I can see of the engine compartment, but I can't tell what's fuel line and what's water. There's always been a fuel smell in the engine compartment, but it seemed stronger after i got it home. Does anyone think the sea foam could be the problem or should I have the marina look for a fuel leak when the winterize it?

Jr.

Rakkasan
09-28-2014, 06:09 PM
I've put sea foam in mine over the summer and don't see how it would cause a smell any different than regular usage. I'd lean more towards a cracked or cut fuel line somewhere between the tank and the engine.