PDA

View Full Version : Muffler/Silencer Leak

skiul8r
09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
It appears I have developed a crack in my muffler/silencer. Anybody else have this issue? Water flows in at pretty good rate when I lower the boat into the water. When the engine is running, water and air spits out too. Do I have to replace the whole muffler/silencer, or is there some type of sealant I can patch the crack with?

Thanks for the help.

moomba!!
09-28-2014, 12:28 PM
I had the same thing I patched it with JB weld at the beginning of the season still is holding up now

Moomba outback ls 2002

maxpower220
09-28-2014, 09:16 PM
A common issue. You can use JB weld, or take the muffler out and put on a few layers of fiberglass and fix it like new.

viking
09-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I sent mine back to the muffler manufacturer and they fixed them both under warranty. But that was a few years ago so doubt you'd have the same luck being as yours is an 2002?? I started a thread on it at the time.

stingreye
09-30-2014, 06:36 PM
If you are looking for a replacement, call Larry at FAE, he has sold a few stainless versions of that muffler and its less expensive (I think) than the oem fiberglass replacement.

skiul8r
10-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Picked up a fiberglass repair kit and patched it. Hopefully it holds, didn't have time to run it to check. I really like the stainless idea, but being their under the floor, I wouldn't get to enjoy seeing them when I opened the engine cover.

Thanks again.