PDA

View Full Version : New Evolution boat cover

detipton
09-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Put the new evolution boat cover on and it fits like a glove. Cory does a great quality job. I'm taking it tomorrow for the first rode trip. Very happy with the new cover.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/b937fe2a6b4c0dbdc224ab7c2ea4517c.jpg

saskyrider
09-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Best covers in the business! !

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
09-27-2014, 06:59 PM
your neighbor has solar panels!! thats crazy

spyder
09-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Put the new evolution boat cover on and it fits like a glove. Cory does a great quality job. I'm taking it tomorrow for the first rode trip. Very happy with the new cover.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/b937fe2a6b4c0dbdc224ab7c2ea4517c.jpg

Are the tower socks included by default. I'm on the waiting list mine should be ready start of the new year.

detipton
09-28-2014, 12:55 AM
The cover fits real tight around the tower. I'll take a picture in the morning and post it for you.

detipton
09-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Here are a few more pictures
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/28/93f6326003da206fa9c1a4273775cffc.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/28/f8663c5cf1734a7286484f689d538170.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/28/4b1cbaa624fc552c8a84cbac744b05c4.jpg

spyder
09-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Looks awesome.

detipton
09-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Thank you. I'll let you know how it trailers.

Boonejeepin
09-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Great looking cover!!!

KG's Supra24
09-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Looks great!

Rakkasan
09-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Thank you. I'll let you know how it trailers.

So can you tow with the cover on? No damage?

rdlangston13
09-29-2014, 07:22 AM
yes, that is the main selling point to the evolution covers

WhiskeyRunner
09-30-2014, 01:12 PM
I have the 2014 cover which fits really tight, no issues while towing like others have shared. My biggest issue is the time it takes for one person to get the cover on. It's not the easiest thing in the world, and having to do it every day got very annoying.

Are the evolution covers faster/easier to mount on the boat? Anyone else find the new covers annoying?

uniwarking
09-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I have the 2014 cover which fits really tight, no issues while towing like others have shared. My biggest issue is the time it takes for one person to get the cover on. It's not the easiest thing in the world, and having to do it every day got very annoying.

Are the evolution covers faster/easier to mount on the boat? Anyone else find the new covers annoying?

I assume you're talking about the mooring cover? If so, I think you'll find in time that that cover will damage your gelcoat even while sitting still just by flapping in the wind. I assume the 14 cover is no different than e '13.

I've towed with it a few times when the weather has required but I hate doing so and I can't wait to get an Evolution cover for mine... Should have it for next season.

That cover looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstenger
09-30-2014, 03:18 PM
I am sure Cory makes a great cover, but why do people rip on the factory cover? I had a factory cover on my 2010 OBV, and I have a factory cover on my 2014 LSV. Both covers fit tight, and neither flapped in the wind when towing. Neither of my boats had or have scratches from the cover.

parrothd
09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Same here, I think a lot of folks don't know how to put them on properly. They don't put the straps on right or don't use strap protectors and then complain about the marks... I used to tow 1000s of miles with the factory covers without issues..

uniwarking
09-30-2014, 11:16 PM
People rip on the factory cover based on personal experience I'd assume, I'm glad you've both had good luck with yours. Maybe it's the LSV vs. the Mojo?

I can assure you I'm putting the factory mooring cover on correctly, despite the lack of documentation and instruction I was provided when I purchased my boat. I inquired directly with SC and I've posted photos on here to help others with installing their covers properly.

I can tell you, my factory cover has caused significant rub marks on my 2013 Mojo... primarily just from sitting still (I think I've towed with it 3 times in 2 seasons). Maybe it's just my cover and my color of gelcoat (charcoal) that show it so significantly. Unfortunately, my boat sits outside during the summer months and this cover just doesn't do it for keeping the boat dry and free of damage.

parrothd
09-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Sucks owning a dark colored boat/car, my black BMW shows every spec of dirt or tiny scratch like a giant spot light is on it. Never buying a dark color again, it looks nice but a pain in the butt to maintain. They should warn you before you by them.. :)

bergermaister
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah but they look SOOOOO good when they're clean!

I actually kind of liked having a white truck. It always looked clean, at least until you got up to about 5ft away. Then you could start to see the dirt and rain spray.

Although my cover is not Evolution it is very similar. I have not had any issues towing with it 70-80mph except after a few hundred mile road trip some rubbing on the vinyl edges has occasionally left them looking a little dirty. Cleans up easy enough. I prefer to tow longer trips with the cover on as well. Keeps everything clean/dry/safe.

When I get my surf pockets done on the bimini I may see if adding any extra padding type of material would be worth it in a few areas or to just leave the cover as it.

parrothd
10-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah but they look SOOOOO good when they're clean!

I actually kind of liked having a white truck. It always looked clean, at least until you got up to about 5ft away. Then you could start to see the dirt and rain spray.

Although my cover is not Evolution it is very similar. I have not had any issues towing with it 70-80mph except after a few hundred mile road trip some rubbing on the vinyl edges has occasionally left them looking a little dirty. Cleans up easy enough. I prefer to tow longer trips with the cover on as well. Keeps everything clean/dry/safe.

When I get my surf pockets done on the bimini I may see if adding any extra padding type of material would be worth it in a few areas or to just leave the cover as it.

I'd rather be boatin' then cleaning, and my boat reflects that... lol..... :)

Garn
10-02-2014, 12:31 PM
How much are EVolution covers? And how well do they do without straps holding up the rain in a rain storm?

Garn

bergermaister
10-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Need to talk to Cory - varies some by boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgfnnkH5xsM

mmandley
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I have had 2 Evolution covers.

First was on my 08 LSV. I had the factory cover originally, and when I would tow it flapped a lot, and with the tie down straps it would work towing it but over 3 years of towing it was wearing a lot. I bought the Evolution solely to be able to tow with a proper towing cover.

When we got the 13 Mojo, charcole of course, we got the Factory cover, Evolution didn't even have a cover pattern for the Mojos.

We towed the boat 50 miles home, took off the cover and the gunnels were all scratched. This is do to the Mojo shape, its flat and has sharp corners in the rear. Plus the hight of the gunnel from the rub rail means when you tighten the cover down it rubs the edges a lot.

I towed my boat to Seattle to see Cory and he made the offical Mojo pattern. < Fellow Mojo people, your welcome >
Also Cory has done several changes to the Mojo padding, and placement of options on the cover based on my findings towing the boat.

I have towed my Mojo from Oregon to Powell throught HUNDREDS of miles of Rain. Best thing is when you pull the cover off, everything inside is dry. Only place any water seeps through and its very little is the tower mount. On my LSV I got no water seepage due to the single tower legs vs the Mojo longer duel tube base.

As for weather protection, just the other day we had a serious downpour, I had at least 30 gallons of water pooled up on the cover. I was up on the boat with a 5 gallon bucket scooping water off the cover. This caused the cover to stretch out and dip, collecting even more water. Once I removed all the water though, looked inside and everything was dry. This is due to me not putting the cover on real tight as if i was going to tow. I only threw it on and snuged it up for wind.

2 days later the cover is back to its normal self, stretching has tightened up.

Last thing about the Evolution cover is its Padded, the entire windshield frame, down the gunnels, by the zippers, and the catch points on the rub rail are all padded to stop scuffs.

Jason05216
10-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I looked at the website but couldn't really tell much about the cover. I've got the 2015 LSV and the cover I have has a ratchet in the back to tighten rather than using snaps. It's got the pole for the front and the hangtyte pulley system in the back to keep water from pooling. I've only trailered the boat about 45 miles but haven't noticed any issues with the cover. I like the ratchet better than the snaps but I'm really afraid that long term that big ratchet is going to ding the gelcoat when its being put on or taken off. It seems that it will be easy enough to forget about the thing and it will get outside its small cover and bang the boat. What's different about the Evolution cover, besides the clunky ratchet?

Garn
10-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Yes, I know it will vary a bit. But those of you with an LSV, how much did you pay for your cover?

zabooda
10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
I still like my pre-Evolution Evolution cover. Ten years now being outside and no change to the cover and it should last me another ten years. I have a different fabric than Sunbrella that is not as pretty but more durable, I have no zippers around the tower and no straps on the back. It has a chinch cord around the gunwale that attach to the rear tie downs. I had tie downs put on but I only use them after I winterize in case we get snow. The nice thing is any good upholster can make an Evolution type custom cover and in my case for less than half the price of the Evolution. The upholster expected 15 years out of the cover but I am looking at a much longer time.

http://canvas-fabrics.com/TopGun/index.htm

muehlcj
10-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I am sure Cory makes a great cover, but why do people rip on the factory cover? I had a factory cover on my 2010 OBV, and I have a factory cover on my 2014 LSV. Both covers fit tight, and neither flapped in the wind when towing. Neither of my boats had or have scratches from the cover.

'13 mojo with factory cover. Sits in yard with cover on 24/7 and gets towed 60-100 miles or more a week in the summer. No scratches or rubbing. Bone dry after rain. No issues for me (knock on wood)

mmandley
10-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Cost on the covers depends on what options you want, but the standard no frills cover is 900 and goes up with what options you want.

WhiskeyRunner
10-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Can someone share their opinion on ease of installing the Evolution cover versus the factory mooring cover? I have a '14 Mondo, and the Mooring cover works well, but the time it takes to put it on correctly drives me crazy. On a day with potential rain, it's not feasible to take it on and off several times a day.

Anyone willing to share the ease of use for the Evolution (especially Mondo version)? Last question- what "options" can you get that increase price?

Thanks!

parrothd
10-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Get a snap on cover, on and off within minutes and anyone can put it on/off without any instruction. Or at least showing them where the first snap is.. :D

mmandley
10-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Can someone share their opinion on ease of installing the Evolution cover versus the factory mooring cover? I have a '14 Mondo, and the Mooring cover works well, but the time it takes to put it on correctly drives me crazy. On a day with potential rain, it's not feasible to take it on and off several times a day.

Anyone willing to share the ease of use for the Evolution (especially Mondo version)? Last question- what "options" can you get that increase price?

Thanks!

Best bet is call Evolution covers for prices of options.

Ease of install and removal to the factory. I feel it's just the same except the evolution cover is a heavier fabric.

Garn
10-27-2014, 04:45 PM
What makes the Evolution cover towable where other covers are not? Do they use a different material? What prevents the cover from rubbing against the gel coat all around the boat?

Garn