PDA

View Full Version : Kicker zx200-4 amp setup question

ninedriver
09-24-2014, 10:22 PM
I have a Kicker zx200-4 amp powering my 4 tower speakers and another Kicker zx200-4 powering my 6 main cabin in boat speakers (stock kickers). All tower speakers are 6 3/4" marine component speakers that have their own crossovers. So, on my amps there is a selectable crossover switch..."off, low, high". What position should that switch be in for each amp?

MLA
09-24-2014, 10:37 PM
"HIGH" without a doubt. Each amp has 2 switches.

ninedriver
09-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Great, thanks. I will ensure all 4 switches (2 per amp) are in the "High" position.

juliavasa5
11-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

philwsailz
11-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Also, be sure to make sure crossover FREQUENCY is set properly.

For the towers, something around 100, (or higher, probably not lower) is about right. For the in-boats, something around 60, (or higher, but not lower) will get you started.

Crossover frequency settings are subject to way too many variables to drill into here, but in general, the settings mentioned above will be safe and will be close to optimizing performance.

Consider this too... We set the crossovers to HI PASS in order to filter the low frequencies out. This lets the amp produce all its power above the crossover frequency, since 6.5" speakers typically are no good at producing low bass anyway.

As a result, (and since you are tossing out the lowest frequencies with the crossovers) make sure the BASS BOOST is turned completely down. Think about it.... You are filtering out the lowest frequencies with the crossover. Don't try to add them back in with the BASS BOOST... :)

'Figured this brief addition to the conversation would be beneficial.

Phil
Kicker

kaneboats
11-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Dang, Phil, that's a great point. One I don't think I've heard made on here before. I need to check my settings and make sure Bass Boost didn't get turned on at some point. Winter is probably a good time to go through everything again anyway.

lee
11-21-2014, 10:27 PM
For some reason that Phil sure knows a lot about audio!

David Analog
11-22-2014, 01:00 PM
That's not surprising since Phil invented audio.

philwsailz
11-24-2014, 03:13 PM
That's not surprising since Phil invented audio.

:)

You saying I am old?????

David Analog
11-24-2014, 05:51 PM
:)

You saying I am old?????

Well, I recall when I was riding shotgun for the Wells Fargo stagecoach line and I was about to move over to the blossoming audio industry. I was inspired by your first car audio installation in a Model T using a chicken wire antenna. Didn't have color photos yet but then the Model T's only came in black anyway.

MLA
11-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

Dont know what David and Phil are rambling on about, but this guys sums it all for this thread..........

philwsailz
11-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Well, I recall when I was riding shotgun for the Wells Fargo stagecoach line and I was about to move over to the blossoming audio industry. I was inspired by your first car audio installation in a Model T using a chicken wire antenna. Didn't have color photos yet but then the Model T's only came in black anyway.

OH yeah, that 6-volt AM tube radio. I got to rework that thing a few years ago. We installed a 12-volt alternator and battery to run modern gear. I then used an FM to AM modulator so I could get FM on the stock tube radio without cutting up the dash. Then I used an 8-track player and an LOC to drive an FM transmitter, (the 8-track player was on hand). From there I used one of those cassette to 8-track converters to put into the 8-track, and I used one of those little casette to walkman adaptors so I could plug the customers iPhone in.

It was tough using all those 70's and 80's period adaptors to get the system working in stealth mode, but the guy was happy. In hindsight, I think I would try to get a few less adaptors into the signal chain... The thing hisses pretty good, and its hard to find matchbooks these days to correct for 8-track azimuth....

David Analog
11-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes, the good ole days.

mikenehrkorn
11-25-2014, 03:27 PM
....I then used an FM to AM modulator so I could get FM on the stock tube radio without cutting up the dash.

That Audiovox FM modulator brings back some memories -- I had that exact same model in my first car and it pretty much looked as beat up as yours!!!

tarheelskier
11-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Dont know what David and Phil are rambling on about, but this guys sums it all for this thread..........

I thought that was a pretty profound post also!

David Analog
11-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Find myself still exploring and digesting the full depth of that proclamation.