PDA

View Full Version : Does lake depth impact wake size?

DaveM
09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Last week we surfed near the lake dam in about 35 ft of water, great wake and push. The next day we surfed in a cove that was about 6 ft average depth, terrible wake and no push with the exact same number of people, weight, and speed. Can water depth affect the wake??

jstenger
09-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Last week we surfed near the lake dam in about 35 ft of water, great wake and push. The next day we surfed in a cove that was about 6 ft average depth, terrible wake and no push with the exact same number of people, weight, and speed. Can water depth affect the wake??
Yes, shallow depth really affects the wake. The water needs to go somewhere when displaced by the boat. If it cannot go down, then it goes to the side and produces a crappy wake. I believe anything over 10 feet is good.

MLA
09-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes it sure does. If you are in tune with the wave, you can actually tell when you go over a shallow spot.

Boonejeepin
09-16-2014, 10:25 PM
A YouTube vid from our very own Berg.

Greg- I hope you don't mind me linking to your video.

http://youtu.be/GoquglfAYBY

slipperyrockTKE300
09-17-2014, 05:31 AM
Depth has EVEYTHING to do with wake size. Here in Florida our lakes are typically only about 8 feet deep. When you surf thru shallower water the wake will actually reverberate off the bottom of the lake and wash out the wave above.

bergermaister
09-17-2014, 09:40 AM
A YouTube vid from our very own Berg.

Greg- I hope you don't mind me linking to your video.

http://youtu.be/GoquglfAYBY

Ha - don't mind at all. That was one of my best first-hand experiences with shallow water killing the wave. Going downstream with the river current the wave is definitely not as strong as going upstream but still ridable.

In that vid as we were approaching the bar on the tip of the island you could just feel, and see, the wave flattening out and losing push as it got more shallow. Nothing changed at all with the ballast setup, passengers, or speed. Wave just died.

The water level in the river also dropped about 2ft or more over the 5-6 hours we were out. I was standing in the middle of the channel in 3ft of water (sandy bottom) holding the boat where it had been 5-6ft deep a few hours earlier. Really freaked out a guy in a big IO crusing towards us then saw me standing there.

996scott
09-17-2014, 02:38 PM
that's interesting. I figured depth would effect the wave but that video is pretty conclusive.

sivs1
09-17-2014, 02:45 PM
I've always heard the 12-20 foot range was best for the wave, but I've been in 100 feet plus and still pull a great wave. That video sure does show how the shallow water has a negative impact. I would be too scared to even be surfing in 6 feet of water.

parrothd
09-17-2014, 09:18 PM
For my setup the wave really comes to life with 15+...

mmandley
09-17-2014, 11:58 PM
When we where at Prinville we went past the marinea and the water dropped to under 30 and our surf wave was losing push. Of course I don't even like being in water under 30ft.

sandm
09-18-2014, 07:44 AM
river here goes from mid-20's to 6 or 7 that I have seen. wave disappears below around 10ft. I'm with mike only our old home lake was 100ft+. the deeper the better imo.

moombadaze
09-18-2014, 08:23 AM
deeper is better, out average lake depth is 10'-14' depending on rain fall