PDA

View Full Version : Prop / Drive Shaft Damage ???

jntMobiusLSV
09-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Thoughts?? Took the boat out last weekend and must have hit a stump that was just under the water surface. Good thing is I was in a no wake zone and only at idle speed (3-4mph) when I felt the rear of the boat "bump" something (likely a stump as this particular lake, Lake Oconee in Georgia, has a lot of them) and the rear of the boat was pushed to the left a little bit. Afterwards I noticed the boat would vibrate/shake a little bit, especially noticeable on a quick take-off. Can feel a little vibration at cruising speeds (20-25mph) but not as bad as during quick take-off. Once I loaded it up on the trailer I checked the drive shaft, prop, and rudder and didn't see any dings or "bent areas" anywhere. Bottom of the hull looks fine without any cracks or gelcoat damage. I'm thinking there could very well be a small ding or dent in the prop or a bend in the drive shaft that I just can't see. Suggestions???

Thanks,

Jeff

bret
09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
You could try to free spin the prop to see how easily it spins. Regardless, I would get that thing for a re-alignment check as soon as possible. We found out that our recent issue was caused by a bad alignment (must have just happened gradually until it finally hit the breaking point). 13 hours of labor plus a new prop shaft support because we didn't keep tabs on it.

jntMobiusLSV
09-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I've got to call my boat dealer tomorrow about it. Will definitely have it checked out before taking it out again.

wolfeman131
09-15-2014, 01:10 PM
even though you can't see it, something is out of whack and you will have bigger issues down the line if you keep running it.

jntMobiusLSV
09-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Agreed. Headed to boat dealership tomorrow to have it checked out.