PDA

View Full Version : winterizing question

bouldozer
09-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone , i have a question for winterizing my 2007 lsv. I 'm leaving to quebec and the temps are regular minus 20 in the winter. Is it safe to drain every plug, ballast and heater or after that i need to put antifreeze inside??? I use the winterizing procedure with picture we found in the forum.

papou
09-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Yes drain everything , blow air through your heater hose .Then if you want.
I then run my engine with the pump intake hose in a bucket of winterizing antifreeze until it comes out the exhaust

docktorj
09-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Do all the draining per cab's instructions on the forum. You cna use antifreeze but it is nunecessary if you got every plug and hose drained.

valleywine
09-15-2014, 06:40 PM
I just set up an engine flush valve and will run antifreeze into the engine. As for the ballast lines I can just unhook and blow out quickly. This will basically take me 15-20 mins with the ability to use the boat during winter storage if the weather permits. We don't get real cold for more than 3-4 hrs during the night typically though.

bouldozer
09-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the informations :)

bouldozer
09-17-2014, 07:01 AM
If i put antifreeze after draining. Do we need to drain the plug against afyer i circulate antifreeze into de system ?

valleywine
09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I will only run antifreeze into the v-drive / engine w/o draining. If you let it circulate while the engine is at operating temp and thermostat is open it should be fine all winter assuming you don't dilute the antifreeze. I've seen a guy run the boat on water until at operating temp, then switch from water to antifreeze, then wait until you see the antifreeze come out of the exhaust before moving a circulating tub to catch it.

Sampp1963
09-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone , i have a question for winterizing my 2007 lsv. I 'm leaving to quebec and the temps are regular minus 20 in the winter. Is it safe to drain every plug, ballast and heater or after that i need to put antifreeze inside??? I use the winterizing procedure with picture we found in the forum.

Vrai qu'il fait froid au Québec

DOCDRS
09-24-2014, 10:35 PM
I will only run antifreeze into the v-drive / engine w/o draining. If you let it circulate while the engine is at operating temp and thermostat is open it should be fine all winter assuming you don't dilute the antifreeze. I've seen a guy run the boat on water until at operating temp, then switch from water to antifreeze, then wait until you see the antifreeze come out of the exhaust before moving a circulating tub to catch it.

Be very careful doing this, the thermostat is only starts to open at 160. Then when you introduce the cooler antifreeze the thermostat will close stoping any more water from leaving the block. The antifreeze will be diluted in the block such that you will be lucky to have -10 protection depending on the strength of antifreeze. Your manifolds and muffler will be adequately protected but not your block. FYI

valleywine
09-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Be very careful doing this, the thermostat is only starts to open at 160. Then when you introduce the cooler antifreeze the thermostat will close stoping any more water from leaving the block. The antifreeze will be diluted in the block such that you will be lucky to have -10 protection depending on the strength of antifreeze. Your manifolds and muffler will be adequately protected but not your block. FYI

It never gets that cold here. Maybe into the teens on occasion. Understood if you live in a colder climate.

MLA
09-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Drain the system of water first. Then, when the RV/Marine antifreeze is introduced, it will fill an empty system and not be diluted. No need to re drain the system, leave it intact and turnkey ready for spring.

sivs1
09-25-2014, 09:08 AM
I just drain everything, pump the engine a few times to insure the water pump is empty, blow air through the heater lines, make sure ballast lines are empty and all other hoses that could have water are checked and emptied. Then close it all up again and forget about it. Have never used antifreeze or fogged the engine, have not had an issue even in -20. My dad does the same with his and he hits -40 where he's at.

valleywine
09-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Anyone know approx. how much water the engine holds?

DOCDRS
09-26-2014, 03:45 PM
The intake vdrive impeller block exhaust manifolds and muffler hold approx 20litres or 5 us gallons ( I measured it). I would say the the block holds about 12 litres or 3 us gallons.