PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Oil Filter

rca
09-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Does anyone else have an issue removing their f*#@#!@ oil filters? I know it was put on hand tight, because I did it about 50 hours ago. They've been tight a number of times but this one, good grief, feels like it is welded on. I was bending the arm that attaches to the block trying to get it off today. I've got a couple of filter wrenches but none of them has gotten a budge out of this one.

Any suggestions?

mcdye
09-12-2014, 07:47 AM
I gather you have the Remote mount. I am with you on this one, there has been times where I had to take off the remote house, place it in a vise, and use a pipe wrench on the filter.....

wolfeman131
09-12-2014, 08:14 AM
This sucks, but get an old bucket, milk jug, etc and punch a whole in the bottom of the filer to drain out any remaining oil. I then put a ziplock bag around the filter and a block behind the remote mount so it didn't bend/break and then I cranked the heck out of the filter, basically destroying it, to remove.

I've also done the same as mcdye.

After two or three time going through the above, now when installing a new filter, I put a very heavy coat of new oil on both the filter ring and the underside of the remote mount.

rdlangston13
09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Strap wrenches have always worked good for me but I also get a good amount of twist out of that frame work that holds the filter. Make sure you lube the gasket when installing a new one

Sent from my iPhone

rca
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I definitely lube the gasket before I put it on. I also change mine every 50 hours since we mainly surf with a bunch of ballast. I couldn't find my strap wrench yesterday so I did drive a screw driver through it, which I also broke. I don't know why this one gets so crazy tight. I've never had any other vehicle, boat or car, that can be this tough.

Nice thought on the vise, that may be the solution today.

wolfeman131
09-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Nice thought on the vise, that may be the solution today.

be sure to mark the hoses and corresponding location on the bracket before removing. nothing worse than having that "DOH" feeling and not knowing what goes where.

Boatdrinks797
09-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Drain it out like Drew mentioned and you can also try punching a screwdriver all the way thru and torquing it off that way. It can get messy so have some towels ready.

marman
09-13-2014, 09:43 AM
I had to drive a screwdriver through mine on my 50 hour oil change. The dealer did my 10-20 hour and I'm not sure how hard they cranked the new one on. I did the oil on the filter ring and hand tightened with a 1/4 turn by wrench on the new one. I was approaching the 100 hour mark so I stopped by atl marine to talk to one of the tech's to see what kind of filter wrench he used. He recommended the following wrench and I bought one and I must say I really like it. It has some grips on the ring and really takes a nice bite. I had no issues this time.

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-57030.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp6819835&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1s-gBRCKwOKQ1sWonvsBEiQA8qALFb6416tjtKafDI04cLszRYx_Z bJrNiXqogQy76RTZXUaAnmk8P8HAQ

papou
09-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Nope never had a problem but if you do it's probably on to tight . A trick that sometimes works is to loosen the filter a little when it's cold .

Potsieuf
09-13-2014, 10:52 AM
I had the same problem. I was not the last one to change the oil on the boat, but by the time that I got done with the screw driver and strap all that was left was the top of the oil filter that was attached to the engine.:mad: It took a chisel and hammer to get it off.

Gook luck brother!! :cool:

MoombaPat
09-14-2014, 10:08 AM
I had one that wouldn't come off no matter what I did. Wrenches, screw drivers, and this was all done from best case to worse case until I had finally destroyed the oil filter so bad there was nothing left besides the seal and interior silver ring. I thought I was screwed! I went to the store and found the 90* needle nose pliers and put the tips inside the holes of the filter and that was the only way I could get it off. Took me about 8 hours to remove that darn filter! Worse experience ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackout_58
09-14-2014, 08:01 PM
This will inevitably happen to everyone at some point. When it happened to me I had to remove the housing and use a vice with a cheater bar, lesson learned.

jstenger
09-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Well I started my first oil change today. Used my good old filter strap wrench and it just slipped on the filter. So I added some tape to get more grip. This time it held tight and I bent the wrench handle. Next I decided to use a screwdriver for more leverage, and I broke the wrench.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/20140914_190606.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/20140914_190606.jpg.html)

I ended up having to take the whole bracket off and put it in my shop vice. I wasn't going to let the filter win, so I grabbed the biggest pipe wrench I had. I destroyed the filter, but it finally came off. Funny thing was that it wasn't stuck on the gasket. It was actually stuck on the threaded nipple.

rca
09-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Finished mine today as well. I took it out of the boat and put it in the vise as well. Big, long screwdriver did the trick.