PDA

View Full Version : Clattering noise

Blueliner
09-09-2014, 08:37 AM
When I throttle up to get a rider going I notice I get a little clattering noise coming from underneath which goes away at speed. This can also happen if I hit the throttle and turn sharply. Is that cavitation of the prop I am hearing? I don't seem to hear it if my acceleration is gradual and I am going in a straight line.

Blueliner

bergermaister
09-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Clattering from under the boat or the engine compartment?

Boatdrinks797
09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
I get a bunch of that too, but only when under full load and it goes away after I hit about 10mph. Dealer said it was "normal" but I tend to disagree. I was poking around the back end over the weekend and the control arm that links to the rudder seemed to have some play in it. I'm gonna try tightening up the connections, but will have to wait till next year to see if takes care of the problem since I'm tapped out for the year.

Blueliner
09-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Clattering from under the boat or the engine compartment?

I am not 100% sure, if I was to guess it would be right underneath the drivers area, definitely not from behind me. I am somewhat sure it does not do it when we tube. I guess when getting the kids going on the wakeboard is a heavier load on the engine, which has no hesitation or bog. It only does it for a second or two on the hole shot.

Blueliner
09-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Boatdrinks

Can you send me a picture of that area you are talking about next time you are under the hood? Thanks

bergermaister
09-09-2014, 04:35 PM
I am not 100% sure, if I was to guess it would be right underneath the drivers area, definitely not from behind me. I am somewhat sure it does not do it when we tube. I guess when getting the kids going on the wakeboard is a heavier load on the engine, which has no hesitation or bog. It only does it for a second or two on the hole shot.

May be worth checking to make sure your tracking fins, if equipped, are not loose.

Same with the rudder as mentioned - slopping around until it has enough pressure on it.

Next I'd probably sit in back with a side compartment open and listen to the engine while someone else drives. Each side. Rule out any engine valve train issues - loose rocker arms or valves clapping.

Hitting the throttle and turning sharply could definitely be the prop grabbing air and cavitating. Same with pulling a tuber hard through turns.

Stock prop?

smorris7
09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Older Nautique's make that fluttering, clacking sound on take off. Buddy had a byerly 210 and it always made that sound. Said it was normal. Never heard that from a Moomba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrick232
09-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Older Nautique's make that fluttering, clacking sound on take off. Buddy had a byerly 210 and it always made that sound. Said it was normal. Never heard that from a Moomba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our old XLV would do this went loaded down, my buddies 2009 Air Nautique seemed to almost always do it.

Woody929
09-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Especially when surfing, my swim platform can create a loud vibration when getting up to speed. The first time I heard it it scared me. Now I just make sure the screws are all tightened before I put in the water. This might be limited to whenever they changed the brackets out though.

Blueliner
09-11-2014, 04:02 PM
May be worth checking to make sure your tracking fins, if equipped, are not loose.

Same with the rudder as mentioned - slopping around until it has enough pressure on it.

Next I'd probably sit in back with a side compartment open and listen to the engine while someone else drives. Each side. Rule out any engine valve train issues - loose rocker arms or valves clapping.

Hitting the throttle and turning sharply could definitely be the prop grabbing air and cavitating. Same with pulling a tuber hard through turns.

Stock prop?

I had some time today to go to the storage locker it is in. The tracking fins are tight, the rudder has some play in the direction that it is free to move...left to right. If you grab the rudder at the bottom and try to flex it to the left and right there is a tiny bit of slop. There is a little bit of play in the shaft propeller assembly but I assume there has to be some sort of clearance in the bearing. I doubt very much I will get a chance to wakeboard again this year...gas budget is nearly gone, and it is getting a little cool out for me anyway.

Blueliner

reeder
09-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Hey Blueliner does the lake that you boat on have weeds? My lake has a ton of weeds fairly close to shore (weeds just underneath the surface) so when we idle out from shore the prop and rudder both get engulfed with weeds, no way around it. I've had the same problem (I think it's the same problem you're talking about), clattering, shaking until your up on plane then it goes away. So what I do is idle out past the weeds and then giver' a shot in reverse for awhile and then carry on, seems to fix the problem. If we're out in the middle of the lake where there's no weeds we never have this problem. Does this happen to you out in the middle where's there's no chance of weeds?

Blueliner
09-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Hey Blueliner does the lake that you boat on have weeds? My lake has a ton of weeds fairly close to shore (weeds just underneath the surface) so when we idle out from shore the prop and rudder both get engulfed with weeds, no way around it. I've had the same problem (I think it's the same problem you're talking about), clattering, shaking until your up on plane then it goes away. So what I do is idle out past the weeds and then giver' a shot in reverse for awhile and then carry on, seems to fix the problem. If we're out in the middle of the lake where there's no weeds we never have this problem. Does this happen to you out in the middle where's there's no chance of weeds?

On the two lakes we use weeds are not too much of a problem. I do pop it in reverse from time to time to clear. I suppose anything is possible and will look at that next time. I am starting to think this noise has something to do with the shape of the hull and where the rudder is pointed when you hit the throttle hard. I am not always straight on line when I get a rider going (noob) and the boat probably fish tails a fair bit as I try to find centre. I think air gets trapped under the notch where the hull gets flatter and it gets squirted out (or drawn in) somewhere as I am doing this. Sort of a flow disturbance. Its looking like it will be something to look deeper into next year...maybe with a GoPro. I will be having the mechanic look a few things over when I take it into for winterizing in a few weeks.

Blueliner